\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or corr

Kper

right well my computer fully refuses to start now... i get the error above, i've tried everything i can think off, safe mode (with prompt and without), last known config, etc.. all come back wiht the same.

looked it up on google, and it seems the only way to fix is to go to recovery console and use that to repair the registry hive (?) or something... the bitch being this computer never came with an install CD or back up CD because it's one of those TIME computers, were the OS is installed inside a hidden partition or something... and from what i read to do recovery console you need the install CD.

so does anyone know how i can fix it at all? i need to get this working again, i've got work that needs doing on the pc and all my girl's files and work are on there too.

i wish i was still getting blue screens... :((

PS: i\ve had this problem a couple of times in the last few weeks, but everytime it came up i just rebooted the computer and it was fine.

easy j, thanks for that. i was just about to ask. looking online the only solution to this is using an xp cd to boot from. thing is i've got a windows xp pro cd a friend gave me when we were thinking of redoing the comp but we never did. the system is xp home and the cd i have xp pro and it dont boot...

thing is i dont think i know anyone near me with an xp cd... work is the only one i can think of and the it isnt in til wenesday...

the hunt for an xp cd begins.

thanks!

lo

Without a disc it's a tough one mate. You can download the setup files from Microsoft and create a series of floppies which you can use to start the Recovery Console: -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results...py+Boot+Install

Pick the correct one depending on whether you use XP Home or XP Pro and make sure you get the one for SP2 users.

Instructions to repair the problem once you have access to the Recovery Console are here: -

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

Oh and BTW, when it's all done I'd advise you to partition your hard drive. Split it into two partitions and use the C drive for XP and all your software and the D drive for all of your data. That way if it fucks up, you can wipe the C drive clean and do a reinstall without losing anything important on D. I can help you with that if you like and if you want an XP Pro CD with streamlined SP2, then don't PM me about it because copying the disc for you would be illegal and I don't condone that at all. ;)

Without a disc it's a tough one mate. You can download the setup files from Microsoft and create a series of floppies which you can use to start the Recovery Console: -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results...py+Boot+Install

Pick the correct one depending on whether you use XP Home or XP Pro and make sure you get the one for SP2 users.

Instructions to repair the problem once you have access to the Recovery Console are here: -

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

thanks guys. cant even do the floppy thing as the only other comp is a mac! i guess i could try an internet caf but i dont think i can be arsed right now...

gonna try and find someone i know with an xp home version;... whooo hooo

Lo

right well this has gone from bad to worst...

i managed to access the recovery module using the floppys. found out that my admin pwd was nothing (ie i just hit enter without pressing anything when prompted for a pwd) followed the instructions on that link you gave me steve, and copied over the repair file needed. typed exit and boom it booted fine, went to windows xp screen and then i get this...

lsass.exe - system error (title of the pop up box)

when trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct

and then it reboots the comp within 5 secs of this coming up. and into an infinite loop, boots, pop up window after windows xp screen, boots, pop up window, etc...

so im like wtf

looked it up online and it seems to be something to do with the sasser virus... which is odd as i cleaned up the computer loads before all this happened... anyway looked up some answers to fixing it... says i essentially need the full install cd now, as i must go to the install screen and do an install repair isntead of full install. cant do this with the floppys (tried).

tried going back into the recovery module to try this command someone posted on some link i found... and when prompted for the pwd, it doesnt work anymore. when i fixed it, the pwd was nothing, just hit enter, and now that's not a valid password anymore. wtf? is there anyway i can change that? or is it all part of this bug... ???

so yeah im seriously fuckin screwin now... by all accounts the only answer to this problem is a full reinstall, which i cant do anyway cos TIME didnt give us a friggin install CD to start with the utter bastards.

arghhh.

trying the knoppix thing at the minute to see if i can save the files we need... but any advice/options to solve this current lsass.exe problem would be greatly appreciated.

Lo

OK,so if you get a XP CD(doesnt have to be SP2)you can perform a repair installation without having to use the recovery console and NOT lose any of your data,I have done this before perfectly fine....

You need that CD!

There must be someone in your hood with the CD,then you can just use your Authentication Code that should be stuck on your PC somewhere,and off you go,you dont need the exact CD that installed that windows.

Have a look here mate, it may help: -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

\

cheers... however this leaves me with the pwd problem still... pwd was blank but now it says it isnt :(( gonna try again... i cant set up the admin pwd in BIOS can i? i saw some pwd set up option in there? or any other way to set up an admin pwd?

OK,so if you get a XP CD(doesnt have to be SP2)you can perform a repair installation without having to use the recovery console and NOT lose any of your data,I have done this before perfectly fine....

You need that CD!

There must be someone in your hood with the CD,then you can just use your Authentication Code  that should be stuck on your PC somewhere,and off you go,you dont need the exact CD that installed that windows.

yeah but speaking to a few people, it looks like windowx xp home is the one cd no one fuckin has, cos it always comes bundled with comps over here. my friend's got a windows xp pro, i've gto an xp pro one too i was given, and i cant find anyone i know with a windows xp home cd... and its driving me crazyyyyyy. i can buy one from TIME for £50 but really dont want to give them my money!!

gonna try from the recovery console again if i can get the pwd to work.

back to going through my phone book to see if i know someone with a copy of XP home... :@@

another quick question. the following line in that last link you gave me steve, is that possibly related to my current problem?

Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if                  your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM                  installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist                  previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may                  not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original                  registry hives.

if my machine was bought from TIME, came without an install/repair CD and has the OS installed in a hidden partition/part of the hd which is innacessible to me, would it be OEM?

Just thinking it might be cos essentially i performed that procedure to fix the system hive and its now saying the password i used to do that isnt valid... like it's created a new admin pwd since i did it.

Shit yeah, that's probably it man. Fucking cheap companies not supplying proper XP discs! You're probably gonna have to do the repair install or use Knoppix to get the documents you need off the drive and then wipe it and start over. You can download XP Home from a torrent or using eMule if you can't find a CD. It might take some time though.

Shit yeah, that's probably it man. Fucking cheap companies not supplying proper XP discs! You're probably gonna have to do the repair install or use Knoppix to get the documents you need off the drive and then wipe it and start over. You can download XP Home from a torrent or using eMule if you can't find a CD. It might take some time though.

grrr... might call time tomorrow and rant at someone to see if i can get a free disc or support from them. well out of order.

it's looking i might be able to get the disc from somewhere. if not knoppix works so i can use that to back stuff up and redo the comp.

ah well, im going out to play some tunes, drink and forget about this. thanks again for all the help guys!

and the radio show is dope :d

Ok one more question:

This KNOPPIX thing. If i bring a portable HD tonight and plug it in through USB say and boot the comp using KNOPPIX (as im still locked out of XP). Will KNOPPIX recognise this new drive and allow me to copy shit to it?

Basically i cant use KNOPPIX to burn files as i've only got one CD drive (doh!!!) but was wondering if this portable hd thing is worht a try? I notice when you boot it looks for USB and Firewire plugged in.

Any advice/opinion greatly appreciated.

:d