Black Viper service patches for XP Pro

Steve

^ yea i had an issue when I used the safe mode. After I applied the safe config my wireless internet didnt work. So i just went to the services and turned it back on. Havent had any problems after that. Pretty useful to turn off all that crap that you dont use.

If you have something that doesnt work right just go (at your own risk) to:

start menu,

run,

type in services.msc,

press enter.

There you will see a page of services with everything that is automatic (which is on), some say manual (which means they get turned on when needed), and disabled (which means off).

Of course the changes will only take place if I remember right after you restart your comp after applying applying the pathches.

If you want to turn something back on that you need just go to it:

right click,

properties,

put it on automatic or manual,

click apply and then ok and youre done.

Thats it, not very detailed but theres a thread in the DVKB that explains the services and stuff alot better. Or just ask here.

All in all its safe like the patch says, I havent heard of anyones computer getting messed up, just sometimes you cant turn on one or two things. For my case it was one thing for many it might be nothing. Thanks Steve

Here are the Threads:

.:SHORT XP TIPS & TWEAKS:.

.:SP2 TIPS:.

Heres a site with all the services, what they do, and what safe patch disables:

EDIT: FIXED LINK TO SP2 SERVICES

.:Black Viper Services For SP2:.

and here is his whole site archived if anyone wants to check it out:

.:Black Viper:.

Lol,or,do some research before you turn off services,and dont go turning off bunches of services all in one go,turn off one, restart and test if functional etc.....

Turning off uneeded services can free up bundles of resources.

Certain services depend on other services to function,it is important to know the dependancies of each service.

I've always found it very weird that this 'Black Viper' guy preaches about turning off services one by one and not changing a whole bunch at once... then provides a means to change an absolute shitload in just two clicks. It's sheer madness

Well he does say this: -

This is the configuration that 95% of the people will be able to use with little side effects. It will also minimizes the amount of "errors" that is reported in the Event Viewer. This does NOT guarantee it will work for you, but if you are scared, this configuration should be a good starting point.

Plus he provides another registry file to restore the defaults.

Absolutely, he completely warns you, and I'm not knocking the patches either, they work very well and are thoroughly documented. I just find the fact that he says that you absolutely must understand what you are doing, and to change the settings in a thorough, methodical way... then he provides a database of files that allow you to do the exact opposite. Odd.

Well

The list of services is verrry long...say you tweak down to just a few services and now you want to go back to how it was on a fresh install for whatever reason,manually re-enabling all the services is tedious,plus unless you write down exactly what services are automatic and manual on fresh install it would be impossible to remember them all-just apply the patch,restart and there you go....aswell as being able to tweak,you should also have a means to get back to the original .

You can manually tweak the services however you like and still use the BlackViper default patch to restore them though mate. Or you could just export the registry branch that holds the settings and use that.