Why do you like to mix?

pittster

This question is generaly refered to those DJ's who perfer vinyle over CD and MP3 mixing. Yea, I would like to know, cause I am struggling with we I should try to practice. I don't think this may not be cutting out for me. I haven't practice over months now. I just don't know what to shoot for anymore.

I like to make music, it is just that Iam not any good. I love alot of things about music, but I just can't mix. I even tryed practiceing the paiano, but I just haven't practiced enough. I think it might be my records I have.

what kinds of records do you have? If it's strictly battle records and such, then yes, you do need more. But don't get distraught because you aren't good. Consider yourself to not be good...yet. If you're driven to practice by a desire to get better, then you're on the right track and that's all that matters.

Well firstly, you should always buy records that YOU like. If you're buying tracks to play to a crowd, but you personally don't like them, then you ain't gonna be into them to get the best out of your mixing.

Also, ask yourself why you are doing this in the first place. It's fun for a start right? Don't let it get frustrating cos you can't do it well right now. Practice makes perfect. A few months being crap will lead to you being OK, then on to being good, then very good etc. It all takes time. If you allow yourself to become frustrated then you will stop practicing as much and that means your rate of progression will slow right down. It happens to me too but I've changed my way of thinking. I just practice as often as I can, take a short break here and there and let things naturally progress.

Just remember that when you do get good at mixing, which you will if you practice, then you will look back and think "Damn. I was all set to give this up. I'm glad I didn't now."

I don't know about you guys, but I love DJing to a crowd. Sometimes, I'll even play shit I don't like, just to get the crowd going. But simply dropping a party-favourite track doesn't give me my biggest buzz - that comes from when the crowd cheers or responds when I do some tricks or pull off a tricky mix.

You need some inspiration...if you aren't feeling a compulsion to make music then you ought not be doing it.

AYO?

Well firstly, you should always buy records that YOU like. If you're buying tracks to play to a crowd, but you personally don't like them, then you ain't gonna be into them to get the best out of your mixing.

agreed.

i am the most selfish mix dj i know. i cant play at gigs because nobody likes what i listen to. true story.

Edited by David iLL