MP3 playas

TBearOne8III

well, my birthday just past and i finally got enough to get a mp3 player. i was originally gonna get the 20GB ipod. but i know there are other players out there. i know creative labs makes one thats about $50 cheaper than ipod. but the problem is, i havent heard anything about any other players. the few people that i know that have them all have ipods.

have any of yall used anything else??? pros and cons??

The new iPods are pretty cool. I got a 60GB one, and think it's fucking great. The video playback is suprisingly good, but I'm mostly impressed by it's size. Only thing is, the demo iPods I saw at the Apple Store seemed scratched up to bits, so I'm really paranoid about scratching it.

I have an ipod mini I like it ok. Its has locked up once and Ihad to reboot it once. Still kicking though. I use it as a USB drive as often as I do for a MP3 player. The only thing I could want more would to be able to record audio real time. But thats what the MiniDisk is for i guess.

My frined just got the new Creative whatever, and i have ot say the touch panel for the up and down is very annoying. the scroll wheel on an ipid is 10 times better and easier. With the market the way it is now, everything is made ofr an ipod. All acessories are for an Ipod, they're even making sparknotes and booknotes to be used on Ipods. So i would have to say get a 30 gb or 60 gb video and you won't be dissappointed. you'll have pretty good player, that's thin and light and you can get pretty much anything you would ever want or need for it.

Two of my friends have had their ipods replaced twice each now, and they both need to be replaced again. The headphone socket on my creative zen nomad jukebox explorer extra thing went and I had to have it replaced, then it went again when it was out of warranty, so basically I may as well just throw it in the bin. It's a pain in the a-hole.

My frined just got the new Creative whatever, and i have ot say the touch panel for the up and down is very annoying.  the scroll wheel on an ipid is 10 times better and easier.  With the market the way it is now, everything is made ofr an ipod.    All acessories are for an Ipod, they're even making sparknotes and booknotes to be used on Ipods.  So i would have to say get a 30 gb or 60 gb video and you won't be dissappointed.  you'll have pretty good player, that's thin and light and you can get pretty much anything you would ever want or need for it.

Werd to the herd. I've been looking at mp3 players for a while, and a few made my short list, including Creative, Sony, and iRiver models. But at the end of the day, the iPod is the daddy. It moght not have the most features, or might not be the cheapest, but it is an extremely well put together piece of kit. Not to mention Apple have (seemingly) excellent customer service.

okay. i pretty much narrowed it down to the creative zen 40GB and the ipod 30GB (they're the same price). i've gathered from most of you that the only determining factor is the easier navigation of the scroll wheel on the ipod. im probally just gonna go with the ipod.

You can do it on the iPod, but it takes a bit of work. Tutorial here: -

http://gapless.itunes.wanderingfocus.com/

Yeah, didn't read your link but I know there's a fair few iPod hacks out there. Personal favourite of mine is the linux install, forget the name of it, but you can run linux to handle your playback as well as other things.

say Liam. i read in another post that you have the zen 40 gig. hows that working for you???? i've read the reviews on them. it seems great but a few people complained that it freezes up and they have to reset it.

Edited by TBearOne8III