e

d

a

n

t

i

c

:)

why cant scratching to be used compliment songs instead of trying to take over them

go and do it then...

or check out shifting tides, seriously - this is a realisation i had about 3 years ago, all scratch is a fad unless you can really back it up with new ideas, and even then its still only a method, which can result in disjointed ideas forced out from the turntable

I'd have to agree. The real question is whats your goal with scratching? For me it's just fun, but the thing is i practice so that i can get better and then INCOPORATE it with say a band or in say a scratch track. Soome peopl will post practice files, but what are those files practicing you for?...Just more scratch practice files. it's redundant as the last sentance i wrote lol. Scratching is just one skill, one step, the next is where or how you want to use it...

im glad u said it

I wouldnt say it was a bunch of sounds...more of a bunch of notes

no, sound was there before the note. Note is a theoretical explanation of sound. Hence, sound makes music. Any sound that is.

When people are scratching just ahhs. 90% of the time its a freestyle or for practice. It always gets stale listening to people practice. The actual composistions and performances should be the interesting parts.

im glad u said it

I wouldnt say it was a bunch of sounds...more of a bunch of notes

no, sound was there before the note. Note is a theoretical explanation of sound. Hence, sound makes music. Any sound that is.

well, i wouldn't say 'notes' necessarily, notes are just specific tones of pitch... there's lots of music without 'notes' per say... if you wanna be technical about it... but I think even more so than melody or notes, rhythm is pretty much the most basic form of music, I think all music needs some sort of rhythm, though it doesn't necessarily need melody, you can have percussion music and that ish

pz!

EDIT: also, like... I don't think it's just scratching, like soloing and practicing with any instrument is boring after a while, like gabe said, it's about the compositions and performances really, and like... if you listened to a whole bunch of guys solo over the same beat with an acoustic guitar, would you really be able to tell the difference between their styles? especially if they're not proffessional or very experienced, of course you can tell like hendrix and vai and malmstein's styles apart, but you can also tell qbert, rucker, and d-styles' styles apart... if you took equivalents of any other instrument to the people you're comparing as sounding the same solo scratching, you'd probably find the same thing... I'd say it's a natural thing, you shouldn't have your own style right away, you gotta copy, vary, innovate, and make your own style, but it takes years and years, which most of us haven't been cutting for...

It's weird because I just had a look on Asis and 2tall had posted about something I was gonna post earlier today.

Do you think that scratch DJs all sound the same these days? There's definitely some skilled scratchers on the message boards, but unless there's a name associated with the file I wouldn't know who it was in most cases. I'm talking pure solo cutting here of course. What do you think?

NOTE: I haven't read any further than the FIRST post...so if I"m repeating...so be it...read my post anyway bitches!

Scratching has been around long enough for the skill-gap to level out and most people can cut 'decent'...and yeah there's a alot who are better than average but I mean shit....iits just not as new and original as it once was when I was 13 and just starting

...how long can people put that shit out there in 'files' and 'battles' and expect it to not be redundant?

We've all wanted the turntable (well...most of us) to be seen as an instrument for AGES and now its official.....(beginning of tangent....but follow me on this)

but....

the music side of the scene is still in the equivalent stages that raw cuttin was in back in the day....people still can't drum that clean for the most part....or know how to structure songs.....or flip scales in a listenable manor....

This is where the individuality is gonna come into play....and its already happening, we all know who's doing what for the most part and standing out as an artist....not just a ahh/fresh scratcher.

Its like were in that teenage stage you go through where EVERYTHING SUCKS to us cause we got SOME skills but ain't where we wanna be YET...so we generally all have the same sound....fuck, just enjoy the ride....with experience comes indivuality and ideally...originality. In the mean time...make some good music...hell make some bad music too... and do something today you didn't do yesterday.....eventually someone stumbles onto something which adds on to the pile of styles out there and we all learn from it and the cycle starts over again.

.....the freestyle aspect of scratching will always be there...and as the music changes (you can only sound so different when we all cut to the same dusted loops and dark techy beats etc...)

I know this is slightly off topic....but then again it isn't ...my point is this

AHHH & FRESH are a practice sound.....its like who can play the best "c" note or some shit.....there's only so much room for individuality within the given samples.....its the music that needs to change...the dj's will follow in kind.

I do like listening to AHhhh files sometimes just to get ideas or whatever, or see how people are progressing. But yeah, then just delete them and go and listen to some 'real' music.. And to be honest a lot of the really simple cuts done in commercial hip hop are a lot more listenable than listening to Tigerstyle do a million 3 clicks in a 'combo' that has no funkiness or much musicality to me....

I don't know, it's fun and Mista Eds 1st post made me laugh.

oh jeezuz fucking christ...

this "topic" rears its head year in , year out.

i REALLY cant understand why people havnt grasped the fact that scratching is just that. SCRATCHING....

it doesnt mean SHIT...dont beleive the hype.

basically...

everyone needs to take off their tank tops, shave off their chinny beards stop taking this shit so fuckin seriously.

scratch if u enjoy it, if u dont....then dont do it.

dont expect anything from it...and if u do, then be prepared to put more in than you will receive.

scratching ISNT music....i dont give a fuck what anyone tries / tried to argue.... its a horrible noise that u can make sound alright.

if u dont like all scratch stuff....or if solos "dont impress", then again, go have a wank or do somethin else...

LIGHTEN UP, and get a grip.

this is chopping noises with bits of round plastic....

if u want to hear / perform real music - learn to play piano ffs.

if u are bored by it - dont listen to it - simple.

PEACE!!!!

couldn't of put it better myself. on point

no offence to most scratchers but in the last few years they all think seem to think they are some musical genius and are going to become the next 'big thing.'

its actually not innovative at all its pretty backward.

exactamundo, it seems that they think that because the music is made on turntables or entirely with scratching, they are somehow greater than someone that uses 'regular' instruments. it's a load of bollocks...

i REALLY cant understand why people havnt grasped the fact that scratching is just that. SCRATCHING....

basically...

everyone needs to take off their tank tops, shave off their chinny beards stop taking this shit so fuckin seriously.

dont expect anything from it...and if u do, then be prepared to put more in than you will receive.

scratching ISNT music....i dont give a fuck what anyone tries / tried to argue.... its a horrible noise that u can make sound alright.

if u dont like all scratch stuff....or if solos "dont impress", then again, go have a wank or do somethin else...

PEACE!!!!

I couldnt disagree more. To scratching is beautiful to my ears. Good scratching. Listen to a snare drums, its just noise, listen to a distorted guitar its just noise. What I love about scratch music is its youth.

I think most other instruments area lil played out. Its mostly all been done before. To me scratching sounds alien and futuristic. I get sick of whiny intense, nostalgic rock, its played out, along with over produced commercial hiphop. Sometimes Jazz is to much, folk is to lil, emo is to emo, but scratch music just fits what me ear wants to hear.

I think the problem is we are in a rutt. Di remeber the 80s when gutarist just knew how to show off and thats it. They werent great song writers at all, very chauvinist. Every song had a extended maxxedout guitar solo. As fast and as possible, trying to show off. Lacking a bit a soul that they traded in for technique.

Like scratching now, we traded in whats important in the music to show off. It should be about portraying emotions. Cleansing your mind, exercise for your imagination. But what it shouldnt be is a whos fastest contest.

basically...

PEACE!!!!

I couldnt disagree more. To scratching is beautiful to my ears. Good scratching. Listen to a snare drums, its just noise, listen to a distorted guitar its just noise. What I love about scratch music is its youth.

I think most other instruments area lil played out. Its mostly all been done before. To me scratching sounds alien and futuristic. I get sick of whiny intense, nostalgic rock, its played out, along with over produced commercial hiphop. Sometimes Jazz is to much, folk is to lil, emo is to emo, but scratch music just fits what me ear wants to hear.

I think the problem is we are in a rutt. Di remeber the 80s when gutarist just knew how to show off and thats it. They werent great song writers at all, very chauvinist. Every song had a extended maxxedout guitar solo. As fast and as possible, trying to show off. Lacking a bit a soul that they traded in for technique.

Like scratching now, we traded in whats important in the music to show off. It should be about portraying emotions. Cleansing your mind, exercise for your imagination. But what it shouldnt be is a whos fastest contest.

word mang, it's not just scratching, ever instrument is the same pretty much, it's just they're getting past that for the most part, where as we're in that transition because it's relatively new compared to most other instruments

pz!

sorry that's bollocks.  you're saying other instruments are out of date?!  hahahaha!

p.s. i don't consider the turntable to be an instrument...

I don't think he's saying that at all, he's saying that a lot less new stuff is being done on them anymore than scratching for example, like can you name any real innovations in guitar other than technology in the last 10 years? and even so, the techology isn't that innovative, relative to scratching and the turntable

and it doesn't matter if you consider it to be one or not, it is, is scetchbook not music? what instrument did they use to make it... exactly.

pz!

what's so innovative about turntables though? sure, we've got keylock, pitch bend and all that shit, but essentially, what has changed in turntablism? the turntable is pretty much exactly the same now as it was 50 years ago just more robust. people are still doing the same things, just in differnet wayss, if you get what i'm saying...

i've never listened to scetchbook by the way, or any scratch music apart from straight up power cuts, i'd rather listen to some hendrix or herbie, i.e. some real music that isn't so fucking pretentious actin like it's changing the world...

what's so innovative about turntables though?  sure, we've got keylock, pitch bend and all that shit, but essentially, what has changed in turntablism?  the turntable is pretty much exactly the same now as it was 50 years ago just more robust.  people are still doing the same things, just in differnet wayss, if you get what i'm saying...

i'm pretty sure people weren't scratching 50 years ago... but look like 20 years ago, 1985, how far we've come since then, but look at guitar since 1985, how far it's come since then... you see the difference? even in the last 5 years, where turntablism's taken a big turn towards being more musically focussed, what turns has drumming or guitar taken? nothing really, just new music, but they're both being use in the same way, same techniques, same instruments, same options, like look at the controller 1, I personally don't think it's going to be as amazing and useful as some, but still, it's a pretty big innovation, it allows you to play specific notes and melodies, it'll open up some completely new options that weren't available before... with guitars, they've invented... new strings? new pickups? nothing really THAT different

i've never listened to scetchbook by the way, or any scratch music apart from straight up power cuts, i'd rather listen to some hendrix or herbie, i.e. some real music that isn't so fucking pretentious actin like it's changing the world...

uh, how can you make judgements on something you haven't heard then?

what's so innovative about turntables though?

Have you seen the equipment that has come out this year?

Tell me thats not innovative. A turntable with a harddrive, a turntable that based on a 12 note pitch. Serato, FS2, etc... All things there were not fathomable 3 or so years ago.

Listen to BNN listen to C2C, and tell me who was doing it before them. Tell me anyone else thats doing it.

Prediction: Within the next 5 to 10 years, a top 20 pop hit will be composed by a live turntable band. It would be the essence of live music with the sounds of programmed hiphop.

what's the controller 1? the rucker table?

that last post came out wrong. i've heard scratch music before, what people have posted on forums and stuff, a few rucker files and a gunkhole video, but i've never properly sat down to listen to it, or bought it. and i'm not ever going to unless it improves drastically.

people haven't changed much using the guitar in the last 20 years? i bet deeswift could name you a few thngs that have. sure turntablism has become more focused on being 'musical' (ised loosely), but does that necessarily mean that it is better than other instruments (again used loosely, the turntable isn't an instrument)?