Forward tears?

Steve

I can do the standard 1 forward, 2 back tear super fast, but I can't do 2 forward, 1 back tears to save my life. Can anyone do forward tears quickly? Post a file! Can anyone do clover tears too or even hexagon tears? I've been working on some of the more basic patterns and tears are something I need to improve on.

I can do forward tears if I am in the zone. I can do 3 forward sometimes. Usually pretty sloppy (check level live drummer vid) you can see me slop up a couple.

The back ones are alot easier.

What do you count as tears?

Like do you count 2 sounds forward / backward, with a small pause in the middle as a tear?

Or do you count a tear as one sound forward / backward, but with a variation in the pitch? eg push forward, then halfway through, push forward faster?

tears have pauses to distinguish the breaks in hand movements. Holy fucking shit the tears that Q-bert does in that session in Scratch (the documentary) with Shadow and Flare and Relm, they make me absolutely come in my pants. It's three forward tears super fast...absolutely mind-blowing.

So by that definition, a tear is really a one-handed faderless click.

I think that's a more 'recent' definition, IMO. The 'old school' definition of a tear used to be that there was a variation of the pitch of the sound, rather than a pause.

But in the past year or two, I've read people describe them more like you.

i dunno, sigma described the scratches in that first file I posted as "transform tears." I'm not really sure, though. If you're tearing more than once forward and once backward, then the pauses define it i guess.

I dunno man. To me a tear has always been about the pause in the sound. The pitch was irrelevant really. Me and 2ndHand used to do a lot of 1 forward/2 back original tears way back in the mid 80's. We'd bite the style of CJ Macintosh.

I've yet to hear anyone really take tears to a new level though. One example would be doing 4 forward/4 back really quickly which would give you a faderless "crab" that sounds like Woody's Woodpecker scratch. Being able to do any combinations of up to 4 in either direction would be the ultimate for me. I can do 2 and 3 back, sometimes 4 but I can't do any forward at speed.

The best tears I've heard are Qbert's: -

3 forward/3 back at speed

1 forward/2 back then 2 forward/1 back done repeatedly at speed

It takes a huge amount of record control to do tears like that, especially if you are alternating between the amounts of tears you do on the forward and reverse. It's something I'm going to practice, but as I've been doing 1 forward/2 back tears for such a long time, it's hard to break out of that pattern.

I can do the standard 1 forward, 2 back tear super fast, but I can't do 2 forward, 1 back tears to save my life. Can anyone do forward tears quickly? Post a file! Can anyone do clover tears too or even hexagon tears? I've been working on some of the more basic patterns and tears are something I need to improve on.

we're on the same boat.. although i really cant tear all that fast yet - but my flare chirps seem to be the key to blowing up on my tears at a fast pace.. or so it appears that way.