Artist's albums you would buy without hearing 1st?

Steve

1 DJ Shadow

2 Portishead

I don't think there are any others. ATCQ is super consistent though.

The thing is - I don't buy every record I like - I would go broke very quick. There are more considerations usually like "who would I play this for and will I likely ever actually play it for them?"

Shadow is pretty no fail-

There are lots of great artists that are UBER consistent (Prefuse/RJD2) - but I can't just buy everything they put out.

gotta agree that Kweli puts out garbage for the most part right now. As for Gangstarr, some years back, you could be sure that every release is heat but their last album disappointed me. I think premier has done better beats for other people than for himself in the first place...

any of you heard Guru's new album? Some nice tracks but also some complete garbage tracks on there.

same for the Wu-tang shit. back in the day, you could pick up any album and it was heat but they fell down heavily once they started releasin a new album every two days.

shadow has done 2 lps!!!

the second was wack!!!

uncle howie is def a dope label, ive never been dissapointed with anything i've bought from them...

Fair play.

However- Shadow has 2 LP in the proper sense + Preemtive Strike + the UNKLE album + lots of other lesser known remixes and side projects.

I love em all.

Also, I think private press was as good as endtroducing if not better - I like shadow as a musician not a hip hop producer. Also - private press was my introduction to shadow not the other way around so I don't set endtroducing as the stardard. I know some people may not like it as much, but I can't agree.

Definitely GangStarr

Also Zion-I ( i dunno but i love them)

Ugly Duckling

I would have said mosdef but his last album ehhhhh but probably still get it.

also a few you guys mentioned