oh dear..

chile

Did you have onboard sound before, or is this card replacing another one? If you had onboard sound, you'll need to disable it.

Try uninstalling the drivers (then reboot) and reinstalling the latest version from the manufacturer's website. Disable any antivirus software you might have while doing it.

i just changed the sound settings in control panel to revert back to the old soundblaster card.. things seem to be working now.. so far ive hooked the new card up to a pci slot, installed the drivers from the cd, but from there on i know absolutly fuck all about what to do :(

You took the other card out though right? Unless you specifically need two soundcards, it's best to replace the old one with the new. What you need to do is first uninstall any drivers relating to the old card. Then shut down your PC, open it up and remove the card itself. Install the new one and power back up. XP should recognise that new hardware has been installed and from there you can install the drivers from the CD that came with the card.

If they don't show up in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel then don't worry about it. XP comes with drivers for various cards built in, including Soundblasters (I have one). When I installed XP it automatically installed the drivers for my sound card. If that's the case, then the new card will just use the new drivers that are installed by you and the old drivers for the other card will be redundant.

There's a small possibility that the 2496 is incompatible with certain other parts in your pc. I had to buy a new gfx card when I got my pc because there was an incompatibility between my twinmos ram and my epox mobo (with onboard gf4mx)... took me a lot of figuring out to sort that one (no documented when I had mine!)... Go with Steve's advice and if you're completely fucked I might be able to help next week mate...

c

guys, i think i'm having a similar problem with my graphics/video card. my monitor is stuck in the output of my video card, but when i go to check out my graphics card, it says (default monitor) on. and when i try to download the drivers, i don't get any love either. i try to install them and it says that it can't find any compatible hardware on my pc.

i probably haven't explained this very well, but i think i need to disable the default and enable the other one, but i have no idea what i'm doing.

any ideas? it's an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 but it doesn't seem to appear anywhere in my control panel or in any of the usual places.

know what i mean?

On my PC it says "Default monitor" too. That's a different setting to the drivers for your graphics card and doesn't really make any difference.

If your monitor is plugged into the card, then it's working. The latest drivers for the Geforce FX 5200 can be downloaded here: -

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_78.01.html

If that link doesn't work, then go here and follow the prompts: -

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

If you download them, go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Nvidia drivers that are already there. You'll then have to reboot and you'll have a nice chunky screen until you install the new drivers. Then everything should be OK, but it still won't change the "Default monitor" thing. If everything is working OK then perhaps leave things as they are.

i had a look for the soundblaster soundcard and cant find it.. im assuming its hooked up through a PCI slot.. the only other device i can see that uses another of the PCI slots is a board with modem connections .. :s

It's probably onboard then if it's not in a slot, in which case you need to disable it via Device Manager.

Right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Click on the Hardware tab then Device Manager. Locate the Soundblaster card on the list of devices, right click it and choose Disable. Then reboot.

yo steve, i had the intention of leaving well enough alone, but then i went to add/remove programs and there are no nvidia drivers in there.

so then i tried installing the latest drivers on to my computer, and i got an error message saying,

"the Nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit"

This also happens when i try using the drivers on the cd that came with the video card. strange?

OK, try this.......

Hit Start then Run and type "cmd" without quotes and hit Enter. An old DOS style window will open. Type the following commands, hitting Enter after each one: -

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

START DEVMGMT.MSC

Device Manager should open. Hit View at the top, then Show Hidden Devices. Does it show up then?

Also, did you add the card after buying the PC?

3 things show up

ASUS V9520-X V62.11

NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200

NVIDIA Geforce3 Ti 200

and as usual, i don't know if my card got added when i first got it, because i handed it over to a slightly more computer minded friend for a couple of days when i bought it. he's overseas and uncontactable now.

If everything is working OK I would leave things as they are. It looks like you have an older version of the Nvidia drivers installed, but at least the card is recognised even if it is hidden.

If you're having problems, you could right click each of those entries in turn and choose "Uninstall". Then you'd need to reboot and hope XP finds the card and allows you to install the latest version of the driver. I really wouldn't recommend doing that though just in case it can't detect the hardware.