buggered laptop

texas pete

ok, heres the crack!

Ive got a farily old laptop but it can still hold its own (well it could before it got fucked!)

It seems to be stuck in a loop cycle, when you turn the computer on it goes to scan disk (as if it was not shut down) but it never completes itself and merely crashes halfway through. i wanted to defrag my hard drive and clean up some files but it wont let do this until scan disk has been completed! so im kinda stuck! i think it has a bad sector on the hard drive because it wont let me install large programs. on top of all this i have an undeletable file that keeps loading the internet browser up every 15 minutes to a crap wow-acces page which is obviously fuilling my laptop with unwanted crap.

any ideas? bin it? or should i save up for a new one?

or what you could do and what i did wiht an older laptop is buy a new harddrive for it and install it yourself. Its really easy and then your problems solved. These days laptop harddrives are at really good prices. And if not then send it to me and ill do something with it. thats if you are going to bin it.

thats if what 2ndhand said doesnt work, because for me I reformated three times and just found out it was a hardware problem

You could try hooking the hard drive up to your desktop pc as a slave and scandisking it from there, or at least trying to salvage as much as possible before formatting it...

c

Buy a new HD if you've got the money. More space and faster access times can't be a bad thing.

Hook your old HD up to a desktop PC and retrieve what you want. Remember that NTFS (i.e. Windows XP) partitions are not compatable with Win98 or Linux. FAT32 (Win98) drives should be compatable with just about anything.