what are

Huw

free and easily accessible antivirus and firewall programs? i am going over to a mates later on today to sort his comouter out and i don't think he is running any of these programs. by easily accessible i mean no torrents, just straight up downloadable. cheers!!

firewalls - zonealarm, very simple to use.

sygate, just started using it and seem good

anti virus - i use avg..its pretty good

make sure he gets ad-aware se 1.04 (by lavasoft)

Guest Deeswift

Ad-aware SE isn't free, but there is a free version. You may also wanna consider grabbing Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3 as well.

As far as I know, Sygate don't make a free version, but this is the firewall I use and recommend also.

Firewalls - Sygate or Zonealarm. Personally I use Sygate cos it's powerful but easy to use. It also has updateable trojan patterns to further protect you. Zonealarm has too many bells and whistles for me, but still only protects you as well as Sygate.

Antivirus - Kaspersky. Nothing else comes close in my opinion. Updates hourly and now includes protection against common spyware, diallers and browser hijackers. At this very moment it protects against 103,398 viruses, trojans etc.

Antispyware - Ad-aware SE Pro 1.5 I guess. I've given up on Spybot. Since the new version came out it seems to pick up too many false positives. Really though, all these products are a weak defence. I say that because I've examined dozens of HijackThis logs where the PC in question is infected with spyware, but the person has run Spybot and Ad-aware. Try as they might, companies cannot keep up with the amount of new spyware that comes out daily. I would advise people to install SP2, because it adds a lot of protection against dodgy ActiveX objects and scripts which was IE's major downfall. There is no spyware that cannot be removed with HijackThis, but it requires some knowledge to use and can totally fuck things up if you don't know what you're doing.