phono / line ?

easydrop

there is a switch under the plater of my turntable for "line out/ phono out"

i used to set it as phono and plug the turntable to the phono in with the mixer

then i tried to switch that thing to line out my turntable and plug into the line in with the mixer

i found the sound is much more bass and volume up

but which is the correct setting actually ? everything phono ?

What kind of turntable is it? Phono is designated for audio signals that need to be amplified. Most turntables use the phono because the signal coming out of them needs extra amplification. But some turntables, like the newer Stanton ones, and the TTX, namely, have small amplifiers built into them so you can use the line feature. I'm not sure how much of a sound quality difference there is. Digital "sounds like" it's better, but i couldn't say for sure. What I can say is that the bass and volume are bigger when you use the line setting because the signal is being amplified before it enters the mixer.

Check the 4 wires that connect the cart to the headshell to see if they're properly attached. Do the same with your phono leads. It could be a loose connection or a dodgy cable.

If never known anyone have as much trouble with their equipment as you Easy! I think the man upstairs is trying to tell you something. Hehe.

The 'heavy bass' you describe is a classic symptom of a line level signal being fed through a phono amplification circuit.

This occours because phono stage amplification is NOT a simple amplifier -it amplifies based upin a biased curve (called the RIA curve or something like that).

The reason for this is because vinyl is simply not capable of storing deep bass signals, the grooves would need to be several inches deep or something crazy like that. To get around this physical impracticality, the deeper bass signals are applied on the record to higher frequency ranges -the phono amplifier sorts this out when it is played back.

Your'e right - It's the RIAA curve. NEVER feed line level through a phono input. It may blow the preamp stage on that mixer's channel, making a useless pile of fried parts from your 200.00 (or higher) mixer.

there is a switch under the plater of my turntable for "line out/ phono out"

i used to set it as phono and plug the turntable to the phono in with the mixer

then i tried to switch that thing to line out my turntable and plug into the line in with the mixer

i found the sound is much more bass and volume up

but which is the correct setting actually ? everything phono ?

To be honest, it shouldn't be making that much of an audible difference. Generally when you're using the Line output, and line input, it should sound "around" the same as the phono output to phono input. Obviously though if you plug the line output into the phono input, you'll get VERY VERY loud and dissorted and all that bad stuff

as the line is the signal after it has been amplified wouldnt it depend upon how good the pre amp is in the turntable compared to the preamp in the mixer when using phono