Slipmat Design Competition

Steve

We're a year old soon, so we're gonna have a little competition, probably in the form of a battle some time in the next couple of weeks. It'll only be for a bit of fun, but Slikmats have kindly offered to donate a pair of customised mats as a prize. If you've not heard of Slikmats, take a look here: -

http://www.slikmats.com/

What we need are designs. A couple of the admins and mods are gonna have a go, but we thought it would be cool if any of you guys wanted to submit a design too. We'll vote on the best one and that will be printed onto the mats.

Oh yeah, if anyone has any ideas for some kind of battle, post those up too. What we could do with is some way of making it a bit more of a level playing field for everyone, cos obviously certain DJs here would murder others in a straight up cutting competition.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What we need is a high quality image the right size to fit on a slipmat. For posting in this thread, attach it to the post and it'll be resized automatically, rather than stretching the shit out of the screen. People can then click on it and view the full size image.

It can be any design you like, but DV related would be better obviously.

ok- ill try slipmat sized... i'm goin on holiday on saturday for 4 weeks, just in case anyone likes it and votes for it, i won't be able to find out. Will that be a problem?

Ill start a design now

I wanna do some designs!

As for the battle. Maybe a 30 or 60 second clip of audio. No rules beside that.

You should vote in 4 areas.

1)Cut Technique

2)Musicality

3)Originality/Creativity

4) Well Roundedness

Just my ideas.

Nice one Gabe.

The problem with your battle suggestion is that it's gonna go on votes and for example, I can't see someone like me ever beating someone like Ryan no matter what I did. I want everyone to have a fair chance, from people who've been cutting for a week to those who've been cutting for 10 years.

Nice one Gabe.

The problem with your battle suggestion is that it's gonna go on votes and for example, I can't see someone like me ever beating someone like Ryan no matter what I did. I want everyone to have a fair chance, from people who've been cutting for a week to those who've been cutting for 10 years.

Well I havent heard Ryan ever do any musical tracks ( i could be wrong) So you would win on that end. And if Dee, Ryan, and Chile for example post 30 secs of cuts, then they looseout on originality and vice versa. So...

It would then help "level the field."

You could also have a "years cutting" sliding scale. So if 2 DJs tie and one has been cutting for less time he would automatically win that.

We should also establish whether it needs to be all scratched, or if other instruments and computer beats are allowed.

That makes it too complicated man. Also, the number of years doesn't always translate to skill otherwise Flash would win against D-Styles and we know that wouldn't happen. It's being done for a laugh more than anything. There will be more serious battles soon enough that will be more like your suggestions.

You asked for suggestions.

Maybe we can have people do tracks that pertain to DV. The person who can get the best track with the best and most DV refrences wins. I dunno.

You asked for suggestions.

Maybe we can have people do tracks that pertain to DV. The person who can get the best track with the best and most DV refrences wins. I dunno.

I'm not knocking you Gabe. The suggestions are much appreciated. If I could think of an idea that would work I wouldn't be asking. :p

I like that idea, but it leans more towards people with FS or a CDX. I did think about the best diss, cos anyone can do that and it'd be funny too.

Guest Deeswift
Nice one Gabe.

Well I havent heard Ryan ever do any musical tracks ( i could be wrong) So you would win on that end. And if Dee, Ryan, and Chile for example post 30 secs of cuts, then they looseout on originality and vice versa. So...

I won't be entering dude, just to make it clear. Makes it seem a bit daft if a moderator of DV wins the DV competition (not saying I'd win) ... Bit like Robert Maxwell winning a holiday out of the Daily Mail. I reckon we should give the members a better chance and keep the mods out of it.

Nice one Gabe.

I won't be entering dude, just to make it clear. Makes it seem a bit daft if a moderator of DV wins the DV competition (not saying I'd win) ... Bit like Robert Maxwell winning a holiday out of the Daily Mail. I reckon we should give the members a better chance and keep the mods out of it.

I came in fourth at the Guitar Center comps. The people who won 3rd and 2nd where judges! WTF! I shouldve got second. BITCHES!

nice- good work- i wish i could do one of those art program thingys- steve- i know a lot of people outside of this forum who cud also make dope images for a slipmat shall i ask them too- or do u want this to be forum emebers only?