BLOCK INTERNET SCUM

Guest Deeswift

Guest Deeswift

.:. USING A HOSTS FILE .:.

I was about to write a piece on using a HOSTS file, but as I searched around the Internet I saw there's already some good articles out there. So, rather than spend the time and effort typing something up, I will just post some useful links and do a little basic explaining. Everything is explained in the articles far better than I can explain it anyway!

What is a HOSTS file? Here's a cut and paste from an article called

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

which I suggest you read. If you find it boring, just stick with it anyway because it's 100% simple and idiot-proof (and it's for your own benefit!).

The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory (cache) at startup, then Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the Server that supplies these little gems. Example - the following entry 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net blocks all files supplied by that DoubleClick Server to the web page you are viewing. This also prevents the server from tracking your movements.

Why use a hosts file? That's obvious from reading the above quote. DOH! But I would also like to add a couple of points: There's always plenty of focus on firewall's, anti-virus, anti-spyware and applications of that type, but I think certain things are overlooked -- a good HOSTS file being one of them. Without a firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware programs, a browser with an ad blocking plugin, etc., I'm blocking 47,575 nasties, which is pretty good. I'm not suggesting that you don't use a firewall (I use and recommend Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, as do many of the people here at DV), but the HOSTS file is doing a nice job of protecting me from all kinds of Internet crap... ad servers, browser hijacks, spyware, adware, malware, and so on. There's no software involved, just something which basically resembles a large text file named HOSTS and has no file extension. In Windows XP, this file is placed in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. The HOSTS file lives in different places depending on your operating system, so read the articles and make sure you put it in the correct folder if you are using something other than Windows XP.

Now, I did say that there is no software involved, but that's not strictly true, because using a HOSTS manager is a good idea. This isn't neccessary ~ you could use the HOSTS file by itself and it will do the job ~ but using a manager makes updating much easier, as well as giving options to disable the HOSTS file, search through the list, disable certain entries, all kinds of stuff. There's various managers you could use, but a good one is B.I.S.S. Hosts Manager. B.I.S.S is Bluetack Internet Security Solutions, and they also happen to produce a very effective HOSTS file. Find that here: Bluetack Hosts File.

Screenshot of the B.I.S.S. Hosts Manager:

post-5-1121301684_thumb.png

That's all you need. Keep it updated from within the program and you'll have some pretty good 'net protection. On top of this, I'm using Firefox browser. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot and see if you like it. It'd be pretty difficult for any nasties to sneak past Firefox. Having only had a couple of popups in the last few years of using this browser (that's the worst that has happened), I can safely say it's very secure. Just for the record, I'm also using Sygate which is a very solid firewall (and doesn't interfere with gaming, unlike Zone Alarm), and lastly, I'm using another piece of software which is quite possibly a little overlooked along with the HOSTS file, PeerGuardian 2, which I will soon write a thread on. Meanwhile check out the website. My opinion is PG2 is one of the best privacy/security softwares that's come along in years. It's by no means a replacement for a decent firewall, but PG2, along with a HOSTS file and a secure browser (check out Firefox's Adblock plugin, by the way), you have some pretty tight security. That's not to mention the usual anti-virus and anti-spyware applications you may already be using.

It doesn't seem to work for me. I installed the manager, got the latest host file and I can still access all the sites on the list. I've double checked and the HOSTS file is definitely enabled and in the right place.

I just did some searching. It's cos NTL uses transparent proxies. HOSTS files don't work with those so anyone with NTL, AOL or any other ISP using them will have to specify a proxy and check the box that says "Bypass proxy server for local addresses" in LAN Settings. Otherwise all sites and the scum associated them will get through. What a pain in the arse. :(

Guest Deeswift

I think it does man, it's coming from the same source, Bluetack, so I guess the ad blocking list in PG2 might do the same thing as the HOSTS file. I <3 PG2. Currently blocking 874639096 IP's.