.FLAC files

Ben

I haven't had winamp installed since god knows when - well, since I found Foobar. I don't really look for much in a software player though - but the LAME gapless was good enough for me. Meant no more cue sheet nonsense for me - but then I did all my cd's to Ogg anyway so it's much of a muchness.

I did all my CD's to .ogg, but then I got the cheap Zen so it was back to vbr LAME for me. Makes little difference to me.

I tried Foobar but the interface was NOT to my taste at all. I'm sure I'd like it more if I persevered, but what's the point?

I find Winamp intuitive, it'd take something amazing to move me. I've been using the same version of Winamp for three years now. I'm already saving for a winamp-enabled casket, the epitaph on my tombstone will probabbly have this winamp version number on it...

Plus, my main PC sits in the lounge as an all-round entertainment system... meaning the two tech-illiterate people I live with are CONSTANTLY using it. I have to think twice before changing anything, otherwise I'll get a phone call in the middle of the pub asking me to fix the PC because Jake can't listen to Charles Mingus.

Oh yeah, Winamp is nicely controlled via bluetooth on my phone -handy when I'm cooking in the kitechen and listening to music. I can navigate and everything right from my phone, so up to 100 meters away. So it meets my needs pretty well.

I'm not saying Foobar is bad, because it clearly isn't, just don't write off Winamp. Well, not Winamp 2, anyway: 3 and 5 are teh gheyness

Guest Deeswift
I tried Foobar but the interface was NOT to my taste at all. I'm sure I'd like it more if I persevered, but what's the point?

I'm not saying Foobar is bad, because it clearly isn't, just don't write off Winamp. Well, not Winamp 2, anyway: 3 and 5 are teh gheyness

The point is that foobar2000 is a very powerful player / burner, plus it can read LAME headers and therefore play .mp3 100% gapless. The interface doesn't really come into it for me, it just does the job it's supposed to do and that's fine! I did look into changing the skins on foobar (with the foo_looks plugin type thingy), but to be honest I can't be arsed, I don't mind that foobar looks like a normal Windows window.

Winamp 2 was also my favourite version. I dislike v3, and v5 is not to my taste. To say it's intuitive, well I dunno about that. I didn't find it intuitive, it just pissed me off, fiddly fuckin thing!

Not trying to put you off, btw, I just don't like it, but I see you love it, and who the fuck cares anyway!

I prefer Winamp. Easier to use, looks better and does pretty much everything except burn gapless CDs - I use foobar for that, but then I think I've only downloaded a handful of files that have been ripped by people who know how to do gapless properly. Sometimes even then it still doesn't burn right. With the mp3splice plugin, Winamp will play any files without gaps - LAME header or not and there's no settings to adjust.

I rip mixes using a cue sheet because a fair few people use portable mp3 players (otherwise I'd probably use Musepack) and the majority of players don't do gapless. When you play the file on a PC, it appears as separate tracks anyway so I don't really see what the difference is.

Guest Deeswift

All my LAME mp3's play back gapless, there's no settings to adjust. I just use --alt-preset extreme, which plays back in foobar2000 perfect, plus it burns to disc without no problems. What settings is there to adjust?

Winamp with mp3splice will play all files with no gaps, regardless of how they were encoded. That's the difference. I've been using it ever since Liam recommended it a couple of years back and it works perfectly.

Guest Deeswift

Cool, but I don't understand what settings there is to adjust. Never mind anyway. Use whatever you're happy with. Winamp is a bit gay though. :d

If you've got files not encoded with gapless LAME, yet they are supposed to playback with no gaps, if you open them in foobar you get gaps and have to tinker about with the crossfader or gapkiller. In Winamp you select mp3splice and that's it - no settings to mess with. I'm also bothered about how something looks. If I wasn't, I wouldn't spend time getting XP to look just the way I like it. Most importantly of all, foobar sounds no different to Winamp.

Guest Deeswift

Ah, I never fucked about with any gap killers or crossfaders, I can't be arsed. If there's a gap, I deal with it, but I don't encode files with gaps, that's such a n00b thing to do. Nor do I burn mp3's to disc if I can help it, so actually it doesn't even matter to me! Also I avoid anything except LAME mp3 if I can help it. .flac, .ape, .mpc, .ogg, those are the formats I'd rather use.