final scratch

2ndhand

last night i finally got to have a go on final scratch. it really is an awesome piece of kit. the good things being (obviously) the wide range of tunes you can use. but it was the pitch control that got me. the way that you can either speed up / slow down the tune as normal, OR pitch up and pitch down. that is dope. and you can use it with one turntable - cut a track in, leave it playing in final scratch whilst having assigned the next track to the turntable ready to cut in. its a dope piece of kit, it really is. very impressed.

last night i finally got to have a go on final scratch. it really is an awesome piece of kit. the good things being (obviously) the wide range of tunes you can use. but it was the pitch control that got me. the way that you can either speed up / slow down the tune as normal, OR pitch up and pitch down. that is dope. and you can use it with one turntable - cut a track in, leave it playing in final scratch whilst having assigned the next track to the turntable ready to cut in. its a dope piece of kit, it really is. very impressed.

Did you notice any limitations?? I hear off a lot of peeps that FS messes the sound up when you try and do tears and slow moving record control?

yeh, the sound would go kinda funny when you whipped the record back fast. almost like the sound of when you " search " or " skip " on a cd. most cuts were ok. tears were ok. these problems were less apparent with a higher kb file. ie one recorded at 320kb was better than one rec'd at 192kb. that makes sense.

dubse7en said there is a new fs coming out, that is firewire instead of usb, and should be even better. it aint without its teeny flaws, but the +'s far outweigh them.

You might want to check out DJDecks software

http://www.djdecks.be/finalscratch/

It is a $30 prog that does the same as final scratch

The only difference is, it uses any ASIO soundcard instead of the USB one that comes with final scratch

I've used it and it is excellent, but I haven't used FS so I can't offer any comparison

The good thing is that you can try it for yourself without spending loads

The software runs in demo mode, you just need to get some final scratch vinyls which are about £25 i think

Depends if you have a good soundcard really as that is where the expense comes into it if you need a new one

The biggest plus is the guy who writes it is constantly adding new features etc

for 500 notes, fs is the budget option. and for straight mixing it is dope. the pitch thing is awesome. i didnt know it did that. i'm am seriously tempted to buy one and hook it to my pc

I dunno, but then that is no big deal to me really. I know you can create loop points and loop tracks so there must be some kind of memory in the CDX. The point is, you don't need a PC, Linux, scratch amp or vinyl that wears away and needs to be replaced. The CDX also has 100% pitch adjust with key lock. It reacts better than FS when you scratch and to me that alone is reason enough to get one. Read the reviews.

Also, if you were gonna use FS anywhere but your house, you would need to buy a decent laptop. The money you spend on that and FS could get you two CDXs.

scratching over a beat is good thing.

doing the one deck mixing is good too!!!

and fs runs on windows (no need for linux)

i am gonna get my ass to cookies in tunstall and have a go on one of them cdx's. if they perform good, then i may buy one.

reckon the price will drop soon?

dope. i do want a cdx or two.

would definatley have to try cuts on it though. i recall reading that FS mimics scratching EXACTLY.  it almost does

Almost isn't good enough. Don't let me put you off buying FS. I was gonna buy it myself at one point. I just read a lot of reviews and forums and I was put off. I'd buy a CDX but only so I could use tracks that I didn't have on vinyl or my own samples for scratching. After some consideration, I wouldn't replace my vinyl collection with CDs.

thats what i mean about almost

the cdx could promise everything but 95% deliver when it comes to it.

hence the test required. we should get up to cookies and have a dabble, so we can set the record straight.

all i want one for is just so i got more wacky samples to cut on.

i like that the cdx has no tonearm, so you could get all around the record when cutting.

Well yeah. Plus the 3000 cue points. You could store up cue points for exactly where all your samples are and flip between various ones. Also no tonearm = no needle skipping. Some of the features could be considered cheating though, such as having the track play backwards but the platter still goes forwards, and the scratch and cue mode where it jumps back to the start of a sample when you stop the platter.

if i was gonna cheat with one of them, i'd mime the cuts while playing a cd of qberts scratching. :)

nah none of the effects are really cheating, just aids. if you aint got the hand skills, you can't do it, no matter how fancy your 'quipment. ( except the jump back to the start of the sample bit - thats a little cheaty, but could be used to good effect )

I use Ms Pinky ( www.mspinky.com ) which works more like serato as it uses physical position stamps rather than timecode. its $99 and it fuckin rocks. You need a soundcard to go with it (like a delta 44 @ £150) and phono preamps ( £20) if you don't have TTXs.

Also you can scratch video with it simultaneously. fisting, squirting and combat vids will never be the same. :blink: