MOZILLA FIREFOX BROWSER

Guest Deeswift

Guest Deeswift

.:. MOZILLA FIREFOX .:.

Here's something to give new Firefox users a head start. As this browser is so versatile and customizable, most likely everyone will use different extensions and configurations to suit their needs, but here's some basics.

Click the image to download Firefox

INSTALLING PLUGINS

CLICK HERE

Here you will find plugins for Java, Flash, Quicktime, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, and lots more.

EXTENSIONS

CLICK TO BROWSE ALL EXTENSIONS

Firefox uses plugins, more commonly known as Extensions, to add further functionality and flexibility. There are hundreds available, many you will find you don't want to be without once you've used them. Bear in mind that sometimes an extension becomes unavailable or the author doesn't update it. Regardless, here are a few recommended ones:

Image Zoomer: Zoom in or out to change the size of any image within a webpage. The most recent version of this extension has many more features than the older ones, such as being able to set custom zoom sizes.

Nuke Anything: Remove any object from a webpage. Can be useful for when you come across a badly coded site where text overlays graphics. Simply remove the part causing problems.

Paste And Go: Paste copied URL's from the clipboard into the address bar and go to it without clicking the 'Go' button or "Enter" on the keyboard. This option is available from the right-click context menu. Suprisingly useful.

Statusbar Clock: Adds the time and date to the bottom of the browser. Useful if like me you auto-hide your Windows taskbar and need to know what year it is. :d

X-Kiosk: *There's a similar extension called "X" -- see underneath for info* Clear history, cache, cookies, passwords, etc with one click. Once installed, restart the browser and click the toolbar, select "Customize" and add the newly appeared "Paranoia" button by dragging it to the toolbar.

*It's a shame that this extension isn't updated more often, as it's the one I use most of all. You can download a version of X which I modified to work in any version > HERE < Right-click and save the file to your desktop (then you can keep it in case you need to reinstall Firefox), then drop the file onto the firefox window to install.

Adblock: The Firefox built-in pop-up blocker is very effective, but this extension gives a little better control. Once the extension is installed, just click the "Tools" button of the main menu bar, click "Adblock", click "Preferences" to set options. You can right-click an ad and select "Block images from http://www.blahblah.com", for example.

Tabbrowser Preferences: Gives much greater options to tabbed browsing.

FlashBlock: Replaces Flash in webpages with a small icon. Click the icon to play the Flash animation and preserve sanity.

Compact Menu: Replaces "File", "Edit", "View", etc. with a single icon. Click the icon to see a drop-down list of the items you removed. This extension removes clutter from the toolbar.

TOOLBAR LAYOUT

Toolbars are customized by right-clicking the main menu bar of the browser and choosing the 'Customize' option. From here, you can change the size of the icons, remove parts of the toolbar you don't need, etc. You can drag the buttons you wish to use to and from the toolbars. If installing the X-Kiosk extension, you can add the 'Paranoia' button from here.

'NIGHTLY' BUILDS

Nightly builds are versions developed between each 'milestone' release. You might find that there's a build optimized for your CPU, for example, so if you have, say, an AMD Athlon chip featuring SSE there could be a Firefox build which will run just a little better on your system. My choice is to stick with the milestone releases, and the reason is because extensions are more guaranteed compatible and security is a little better guaranteed. Check out the "Firefox Builds" section at www.mozillazine.org forums for more information.

FIREFOX SPEEDUP TWEAK

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! FOR SOME, THESE SPEEDUP TWEAKS CAN APPARENTLY HAVE NEGATIVE EFFECTS. THIS IS PROBABLY MORE LIKELY TO AFFECT COMPUTERS WITH SLOW CPU'S AND/OR A SLOW INTERNET CONNECTION.

1. Type "about:config" in the address field.

2. Set the value of network.http.pipelining to "true".

3. Set the value of network.http.pipelining.maxrequests to "100" or "200"

4. Set the value of network.http.proxy.pipelining to "true"

5. Set the value of nglayout.initialpaint.delay to "0"

The last line, "nglayout.initialpaint.delay", this entry needs to be created as it doesn't exist by default. To create a new entry, right-click the other entries in the window, select "New" > "Integer", and paste in "nglayout.initialpaint.delay". Set the value to zero -- "0".

FIREFOX MEMORY USAGE FIX

This tweak forces Firefox to use less memory.

1. Type "about:config" in the address field.

2: Right-click and create a new Integer

3: Name the new integer "browser.cache.memory.capacity"

4: Set the value to 16384 (this is 16MB)

5: Restart Firefox.

PROFILES

MozBackup Website

User profiles can be backed up with a nice freeware utility called MozBackup. This backs up Firefox and Thunderbird profiles.

RECOMMENDED READING

Reasons why you might wish to switch. Here's a couple of articles on the browser wars! ... Make up your own mind.

WHY YOU SHOULD DUMP INTERNET EXPLORER

IEBlog

TWEAKFACTOR.COM FIREFOX TWEAK GUIDE

*More content is to be added to this guide.

Last updated Feb 20th, 2005.

post-5-1124550256.gif

• 2 weeks later...
is firefox really that much better than ie? I've seen alot of people using it on some customizingxp sites..

Well um yes in a sense, but if you plug up all of I.E.'s security holes then it's debatable, also check the Avant browser it's basicallt an extension to I.E., people seem to like that too, but just try it out get the extensions dee has listed, get a cool skin you like and try it for week or 2

Guest Deeswift

Can't imagine what's causing that, I never heard of this error. I'd maybe try reinstalling from scratch, but delete the Mozilla folder from C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data. Make sure no firewall is blocking it too. Maybe I'm being obvious but there's nothing I can think of that can be causing the error.

• 2 weeks later...

"MozBackup is a utility for creating backups of Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird and Netscape profiles. It allows you to backup mail, favorites, contacts, etc. This program is freeware."

http://backup.jasnapaka.com/

Run Firefox from a portable drive (USB etc.)

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

Thought some of you might find this useful.

Guest Deeswift

Already had MozBackup covered in the main post mate, but cheers anywizzle.

PROFILES

MozBackup Website

User profiles can be backed up with a nice freeware utility called MozBackup. This backs up Firefox and Thunderbird profiles.

I'm not trying to cause a ruckus, but out of interest, does this site display correctly in Firefox?

I was reading about the new XHTML 1.0 compliance which is to be added to the W3C standard and it appears a lot of syntax that was allowed previously is now not to be allowed. There are 345 mistakes found when you enter "fsbeats.co.uk" into the W3C validation service as I did HERE.

If the next version of Firefox fully complies with W3C including the new additions, then the chances are that with 345 "errors" in the code then this site won't work. Do you think by not allowing for such errors that Mozilla are cutting off certain users? If more and more sites are not displayed in a certain way then people are gonna get pissed off and pick a different browser.

One example of the new standard is this: -

http://somesite/image.gif

Notice the forward slash at the end before the closing of the tag. Not including that slash was allowed under the standard before, but will not be once XHTML 1.0 is added. I think it's a bit crazy. Any site with image tags that wants to be compliant, will have to add the / at the end of all of their lines of code (as well as several other changes).

To me it can't be a good thing when you gotta use this browser for this site, and another for another site, where a couple of years ago, nobody was even concerned with this stuff and all sites looked fine. I wouldn't know where to start with correcting our 345 errors and we're a tiny site in comparison to others. The Internet is fucking huge and it seems a little late to be trying to enforce rules on certain areas of it now. Obviously it's something for people creating sites right now to take into account, but for all the sites currently up it's a total pain in the arse.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Deeswift

That's interesting. I don't seem to get problems, and I'm using the Tweak Network Settings extension. To be honest I don't really see much of a difference if I use it or not though. Maybe it's just a little bit faster. I reckon this problem would probably affect 56k modems, weak computers and such more than broadband and a fast CPU.

• 1 month later...