Software BOSS RC-20 Emulation v2.0!

turnips

Being a nerd and also being a cheap one who can't afford a BOSS RC20 or anything like that I started writing a software emulation of one ages ago. Its finally in a usable state, and you can download it here...

LoopStashen

Should work fine in any AudioUnit host like Logic or Cubase or whatever. If you've got Tiger install the Developer tools! They come with an ace program called AULab which is basically just the channel strip for Logic. On that page is a link to a preset which should load up AULab with your audio-in going into the Looper plugin. Just make sure you stick the plug-in in <your home directory/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/!

Its like a RC20 except its got 8 channels that can be recorded to individually, and you can change the volume on them and solo them and all that. Plus you can delete individual channels too so you don't have to start again just cos you muffed your hihats :((

Features to be added are a button to merge tracks together so once you are happy with them they don't waste space, and also an option to save and load the contents of each channel to disk. Also make it look nicer and generally be better!

Sorry it's Mac only, but I'm working with a mate on getting a Windows version going too, if anyones interested :8

Yeah I'm surprised there isn't one of these sort of proggies knocking about - though I haven't looked very hard. I think I did come across one but didn't really bother trying it.

I think I could just about get Ableton into a useable state but can't be fucked and would guess that a MIDI foot-pedal would be quite handy.

Let me know if you get a PC version up and running.

Guest Mike Reezy

you could pimp this shit the fuckout if using a m-audio trigger finger

waxodermist is working on a proggie for it, so you can use it like an rc20 loop pedal, only better because there is 16 assignable buttons, 8 assignable knobs, and 4 assignable faders

even better its USB, so you dont even need midi card.

nice one i'll have to try it out, i already have a progrma that uses a midi pedal to loop it's known as Ambiloop. It's a decent program, i would like to take a look at yours though, you might want to check out ambiloop to get some ideas though....

you could pimp this shit the fuckout if using a m-audio trigger finger

waxodermist is working on a proggie for it, so you can use it like an rc20 loop pedal, only better because there is 16 assignable buttons, 8 assignable knobs, and 4 assignable faders

even better its USB, so you dont even need midi card.

Am I being really stupid, how are you meant to use the trigger finger whilst scratching? Isn't that the point of a 'foot' pedal?

Mine should already be fully controllable via Midi, so you can use footpedals and stuff if you want. You need to have your host set up to route the midi to the right places tho, I'll try and post up a Logic preset tonight.

The only thing right now is that the GUI won't show responses to midi messages, even though the plugin running underneath will, Imma sort that out soon though.

Cheers for the pointer Mixologist I'll try out Ambiloop tonight!

Guest Mike Reezy

put the trigger finger on the floor, maybe you could even use a mouse or a keyboard in the same fashion?

I once saw someone posted a guide on how to make your own footpedal, wiring it up to a mouse would be simple