How often do you practice?

Steve

I was just thinking about when Steve D said on Scratch that he gave up everything for a whole year and just concentrated on his turntable skills. I wish I could be that committed to it! Sometimes I don't touch my turntables for a week and other times I'll just cut for 4 hours straight. I think I don't practice much partly out of frustration that I don't seem to be progressing as fast as I like. It's stupid really cos practice is the only way I'll get any better!

I have given up everything! Its been about 5 months. 100% music. I still do my work to make money, but every second free is for making music or promoting music. I practce at least 3 hours everyday. Between scrathin, emceeing, and being in the band, I am always in music. I have decided that am going for this full throttle. Like I said in another thread. Anyone thats feelin m tracks and wants to help. I need it. Music is my life!!!!!

at the moment, not a lot, my mixer is getting old and dicrepid and i have little desire to actually do anything. plus my decks aren't set up at the moment, and won't be for at least a week or so! but usually when they are set up i have a mini rinse everyday, for however long i feel like...

i dont practice ALOT, but i mean, I would definately say I get on my tables every other day. Sometimes when I go without for awhile and get back on, i feel like i got better....weird? yeah. Due to school, girl, and other distractions, my attention span for music has dropped tremendously. I dont even feel like I have time for bands anymore and here I am thinking of going to music school in florida within 2 years. I need to get with it..... ooohhhh but i love gettin on my tables!

sometimes i ask myself, why am i doing this?

Edited by iexist

I used to practice every day, sometimes all day. Now I don't practice ever. ;)

No time or what?

How long it´s been now since you havent practiced?

I had a cut with Dee on Skype a week or two ago, before he packed his decks up. Some of his cuts I couldn't even understand. lol. For a man who doesn't practice he's still got a whole load of scratches up his sleeve, even if by his own admission he's a bit rusty.

Jordan - About asking why you are doing it - firstly you enjoy it right? Scratching can be frustrating but only if you pile too much pressure on yourself. Just relax, practice and your skills will grow in time. I think there are a lot of people out there that want to try and make a living out of this stuff but only a few successfully achieve that. You've gotta be extremely dedicated or the kind of one in a million person that is just naturally gifted for this stuff. Personally, I'm neither. I just wanna cut, make a few tracks and mixes and play out as often as I can. I'd do it all for free too, just cos I enjoy it so much.

I'd say im pretty dedicated when it comes to scratchin, i wont even get a job i need to be workin on my music/scratchin that much.

And to answer the question almost everyday, and never less than 4 hours.

Edited by Ryan

i mean, i do enjoy it. I wasnt saying that I didnt, its just my effort that makes me question it. keeps me asking why i am doing it? not necessarily am i enjoying, but just on the lines of what am i doing it for, and am i striving to do anything with it? i mean, i have put alot of $$$$ into my tables/records/etc. have been at em for about 4 years and just find myself questioning alot.

Edited by iexist

Um , I vary my practice times alot right now, they're next to me but i just don't feel like cutting so i probably won't, somedays i can cut like jesus well at least it feels like i can, so i practcie for like 2 hours, other days i'm frustrated after 5 min so i give up...

by the way jordan, i kinda know what you mean, i mean I love DJ;ing just cause it's fun, different, and you can make some pretty crazy music, but i'm not plannig on being better than qbert, i plan on using it more as a healthy hobbie, but i know waht you mean man, like dropping 650 a piece for a CDX would definately make me question why i'm doing this, I remember the first time i DJ'ed for my school's dance, nothing special just a dance and it fucking rocked everyone wss out there there was like 400 people there, all the other dances maybe 250 people showed up and most didn't go to the dance floor, but it was crazy, iloved it it had to be the greatest feeling in the world...

I remember the first time i DJ'ed for my school's dance, nothing special just a dance and it fucking rocked everyone wss out there there was like 400 people there, all the other dances maybe 250 people showed up and most didn't go to the dance floor, but it was crazy, iloved it it had to be the greatest feeling in the world...

That's what does it for me too! I remember my first gig - I was shitting myself. After the first 10 minutes though I was loving it and didn't wanna get off the decks. I've played to a room with 20 people in it and I've played to a room with several hundred in it, but all it takes is one person to come up and say they've had a good time or they liked my set and it makes my day.

The last gig I did was a fucking disaster though. I had no monitors and some gimp that was using my decks before me fucked with the ultra pitch and the start/stop knobs that control the speed. It totally threw me for a bit and the lack of monitors meant I couldn't mix at all. It was shit! I ain't played anywhere for about 6 months now too. :angry:

Oh yeah - another thing that pisses me off is being the support act for someone getting paid loads when you're getting nothing, even though they are shit. I warmed up for Matt Cantor out of The Freestylers once and he got paid £800 in cash for his set which was absolute shite. He played a load of old rave music to a crowd of uni students that were expecting hip hop and fat beats. It was very gay!

I think when you realise that the only person in the room analysing your scratching and mixing is yourself it helps! Most people don't really give a shit once they've had a few beers. You'll always get a few people who come and stand by the decks and watch though. Do a few crab scratches and they are in awe. lol.

i attack that shit more fierce when i'm drunk... i practice more often now than before...

it use to be 2 or 3 times a week.. i had my decks down for a huge minute both of them... lately i've been going about 15-20 minutes a day.

i do much better with someone in the room listening to me.. i focus more and pull out all the tricks.. that's the only time i remember everything i can do...

lol well seeing as it was in school there was no beer, but yea, they jsut want to get down and dance and nod their heads, so that's what i tried to do, some people watched me though but i wasn't ont he tables i was on the cd player so i couldn't just bust a scracth i instead put the headphones onl ike i was cueing some hot shit up