q bert, d-dstyles and rucker - some questions

needler

It's interesting that you are only interested in people who are innovative, yet you spend a lot of time on Asis and D-Styles board having a go at Rucker, who is probably the most innovative person in scratch music right now.

As for the tape, just name a better one. Simple. If someone on this board had done this mix and posted it up today, I'd be impressed. The fact that it's 11 years old and stands up against stuff released now only shows how good it really is.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mike Reezy

i was thinking of it in a album context not a mixtape, my bad, I dont really like mixtapes that much, the only thing thats interesting for me is to hear alot of originals, other than that mixing and juggling does not interest me one bit

as for having a go at Ricc..... thats exactly what it is, at him, not his music.

He seems to be chilled out recently he must have tripped lately, and came back to earth.

He is just overly dramatic, hes got skills, and he does innovate, I just think he could communicate his message in a better way.

I got an mp3 player, and I been listening to music on it while I skate, I really feeling LABOC, and starting to like FUGA, the problem with FUGA is that I tried to listen to it, expecting somehting, but when I just go skate for a couple hours, its totally different

I have fucked up taste, I study music more than I listen to it most times....

BUT his style IS boring v.quickly. i like juggling and scratch musicians stylee stuff

anyway

Coming back to this comment, are you saying Q isn't a scratch musician? Also, Q's juggles are amazing, IMO.

i understand the term scratch musician to mean someone who uses scratchin as a way to make melodies and beats to create actual songs, not a straight up turntablist/scratch soloist. i think its more than just incorportaing scratches into a track, its creatin a track purely from scratchin. so i'm not sayin q isnt a scratch musician, but a lot of his output is not geared toward that style.

when i say his stlye gets boring quickly, i mean, if i were in a club and Q n crew were hosting the entire night, after the first three hours of straight up electro cuttin personally i would not protest at a change of pace. like i saw woody and dopey recently takin it in turns to drop tunes, scratch and juggle and it was psik and u never knew what was comin next, kept you on ur toes....

Guest Deeswift

Mate, I think you have the wrong idea about Q. Why whould he cut electro beats for 3 hours? I think that's a load of crap. Take a track like I miss You Blobula. All cutting. Qbert has done plenty of shit that's just pure song material, and made with cuts. In fact half these cats who are doing this now probably don't know that Qbert did it 10 years before. I see no point in this conversation.

Those fucking Asis people have somehow managed to hoodwink a genre.

i understand the term scratch musician to mean someone who uses scratchin as a way to make melodies and beats to create actual songs

Says who, and why do they have the autority too say that. It's total bollox. Dee is right. Qbert was doing that shit years ago before most "scratch Musicians" knew what cutting was. They have not invented anything new. They have took what him and many others done years ago and done their own thing with it. There is no problem with this, but to do this then deny anything else and slate your influences is wack. Also lets see them do what Q does. They couldn't. Maybe he isn't creating new shit now but so. I can listen to him solo for an hour because he is that good at it. There isn't many other people I'd say that about.

BUT his style IS boring v.quickly. i like juggling and scratch musicians stylee stuff

anyway

Coming back to this comment, are you saying Q isn't a scratch musician? Also, Q's juggles are amazing, IMO.

i understand the term scratch musician to mean someone who uses scratchin as a way to make melodies and beats to create actual songs, not a straight up turntablist/scratch soloist. i think its more than just incorportaing scratches into a track, its creatin a track purely from scratchin. so i'm not sayin q isnt a scratch musician, but a lot of his output is not geared toward that style.

when i say his stlye gets boring quickly, i mean, if i were in a club and Q n crew were hosting the entire night, after the first three hours of straight up electro cuttin personally i would not protest at a change of pace. like i saw woody and dopey recently takin it in turns to drop tunes, scratch and juggle and it was psik and u never knew what was comin next, kept you on ur toes....

:|......Qberts drumming is SICK as fuck. Qberts juggling is SICK as fuck. Qberts scratching is SICK as fuck. You say his style is boring because you've probably only heard him cut to electro, thats only a small segment of his skill being showcased there. Go buy wave twisters, or one of his tour dvds. On the tour vid ive seen he scratches, drums, and freestyles with a beatboxer switchin from drummin to scratching. Hes an all rounder, at the top of his game on every aspect of turntablism. He is only human though and limited by his style, but he has alot of styles.. like dee said, people do expect too much of him, he gets so much coverage that people get used to his style of scratching.. i can bet you if woody and dopey got as much coverage many people would find them boring quickly.

oh i checked out demolition pumpkin squeeze out last night.. i thought Q was ahead of his time.. but damn, those cuts are insane for 1994, SERIOUSLY! that blobula was sick too.

'Brain... bones...blood... balls....... I meant eye balls!'

Invisibl Skratch Piklz were making music with turntables back in the early 1990's. Check out their 1992 DMC winning performance as the Rock Steady DJs. One DJ would drum, one would use a horn sample or something and the other would do a vocal cut. They also took scratching to a higher level than anyone else had done before. Nobody has influenced me more than those guys.

I can listen to him solo for an hour because he is that good at it. There isn't many other people I'd say that about.

Definitely. There's only a handful of DJs that are capable of pure solo cuts that would hold my attention for an hour. As Chile says, the reason QBert's cuts might seem repetitive is because his stuff is heard so often. When he tours, he seems to do pretty much the same thing at each show, but you might see 2 or 3 videos put up online from different shows and think "He can only do one style of scratching" and that's not right. Besides which, he performs alone so he's limited in what he could do in the musical sense. There's not many people who could step on stage with one turntable and a mixer and hold a large crowd's attention for an hour.

I'm surprised he's not put out more music though. He has cut on a lot of artist's tracks, but as far as solo stuff is concerned there isn't a lot of it. Then again, I suppose D-Styles is similar. I'd love to hear a new album from either of those two, or even better a joint project.

Guest Deeswift

This is true. Considering they've both been cutting for exactly 20 years, their output (on official release) is very low. There is a lot of Qbert material floating around though, from the early 90's DMC performances, to DPSM, the ISP scratch practice tapes, various video's including the Turntable TV series, Wave Twisters, etc, etc. I gotta admit, I'm looking forward to his new album though, which I think will set the standard once again.

As I've said before, my problem is with Yoga Frog. I don't like the way Qbert is marketed nowadays. Otherwise, Qbert is still the_fuckin_man as far as I'm concerned.

@ Chile -- I agree that for the time, those cuts on DPSM are amazing. They're still good now, 11 years later, and I still haven't heard anyone who comes close to Qbert for all out style. Consider too, that there was no quick-cut faders back then. Q used an old PMX-2 and a Gemini mixer for that tape.

what I find kinda funny is that scratching has been around the least of most music genres- you think back in their day, coltrane or miles started calling up other jazz cats and were like....

" all right we is raising the bar on all you fronting jazz mofo's- no more fooling on just some simpleton whole tone scales or bebop lines-times are changing- we are on some freeform shit right now...no time signatures....blah blah...whatever...get my point?

and then a lot of the young cats reading these boards act like if you don't get past baby's, chirps and flares in your first two months -you're behind-

reminds me of a college roommate, who proceeded to tell me he had exhausted his use for the blues scale on guitar- okay-you've been playing how long (3-4yrs max)and you've completely exhausted your use for a simple five note scale?

that must be why the music has been around 40yrs plus your exhaustion period....fool!

and don't forget...whether its a post or a quote...live verbage you heard.....its still all talk.....ain't nothing any of those cats can say negatively about each other that is actually gonna affect their careers at this point....

there's another term I love-scratch career...LOL

oh..yeah..

Dee you the man!!

thanks for the DPSM hook up

the internet allows for a lot of shit talking, and when people say post a file bitch (if anyone still does that anymore) does anyone reply?

its all silly baby shit. instead of support and constructive criticism for each other we have people fronting and then saying someone else is a cock etc etc.

scratch boards can be so counter-productive

is it just me or does nobody really post much audio on both dstyles and asis anymore!?

incl. me :(( :(( :((

seriously though, looks to me that the asis and dstyles boards have slowed down a bit... which is good, hopefully everyone is off not bigching and making music instead.

the internet allows for a lot of shit talking, and when people say post a file bitch (if anyone still does that anymore) does anyone reply?

its all silly baby shit. instead of support and constructive criticism for each other we have people fronting and then saying someone else is a cock etc etc.

scratch boards can be so counter-productive

is it just me or does nobody really post much audio on both dstyles and asis anymore!?

Even on Asis people seem to be fairly constructive. D's board is a lot worse for people hating. I find message boards distracting rather than counter-productive. I've learnt a fair bit and heard a lot of good audio here and made a few real life friends too, but if I wasn't here I'd probably have made a lot more mixes and tracks.