Bastard HAK360

Banano

I'm on the verge of taking a hammer to my 360...

I only really have myself to blame....I've been out of practice for some time,and with various other factors like video games and semi-alcoholism taking their toll my will to cut is almost fucking zero right now. Yes, I'm shit and its my fault - but goddamn it, why can't I nail the fucking bastard flare scratch? :@

This shit eludes me like some bastard dandelion fluff in high winds - I can do it in the slow, retarded sense, but any attempt to build up speed and my hands just start spazzing out. I can get a shite approximation of a fast 1 click flare by moving my hands really quickly and hoping for the best, but it invariably sounds cack. I can't even do it regularly and slowly properly - it's a 50/50 sound normal/sound shit situation.

The whole cut in the middle thing just doesn't seem to agree with my brain - like there's no way to unlearn what I've learned from the old days of stabs....I should mention that im RIGHT HANDED but cut with my left on the record, and have to REVERSE HANDS for faster clean chirps (think crossed arms). I'm beginning to wonder if a heavier fader might help me as the HAK one just doesn't seem to be working for me - its fucking fantastic at letting me do ultra fast crabs, but seemingly nothing else...chirps and other fast scratches seem to get lost in its

lightness. I went from a shitty stanton SA5 to a HAK360 without knowing the mechanics of any of the open fader scratches and I think that playing catch up on this mixer now is fucking me up, or at least not helping.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone moved from a light fader to a heavier one and had better results? Should I just get a Vestax anyway ?

To be honest I think it's just technique and practice mate. I doubt if a heavier fader will help. Try the old 3 sticker method and just practice it until you feel like throwing your mixer out of the window.

Guest Deeswift
I can get a shite approximation of a fast 1 click flare by moving my hands really quickly and hoping for the best, but it invariably sounds cack.

Maybe the problem is you're trying to do it too fast? I remember trying to teach Awkward a 1 click flare years back (I could do great flares after just a short time cutting, but he couldn't do them after years of practice), and basically he was approaching it like it's some ultra fast scratch, and that's where he went wrong. It isn't, it's actually pretty slow. Just chill and relax! Slow your fader hand down a touch, keep it locked in with your record hand and you'll eventually get it to a point where you could do it in your sleep. If you can do a scratch and hold a conversation at the same time, you've nailed it. Flares are not really fast at all, they just sound like they are. Keep on doing it slow. Gradually speed it up, but just keep it locked. If you fuck up, you're losing control and trying to do something you just can't do yet.

Dood, I have a Rane and feel the same thing sometimes (used to be more).... what you want by having a tighter fader is a substitute for better rhythm. The reason you can't get it is because your sense of rhythm and your boddies coordination isn't strong enough - you want a tighter fader to counteract your offbeatness, but in truth - if you went to a looser fader, you're still off beat.

Enjoy your mixer and just practice. Also, a tip Pete gave me... try lifting weights, particularly working the forearm muscles. The more you work a muscle the more control you gain over it (think about the guys that can move their pecs etc.).

btw, alcohol ruins the bodies sense of coordination. I'm sure this isn't news to you, but its the truth so don't pretend like it doesn't. If you stop or slow down the drinking I think it'll help you - not just in cutting, too :p

Guest Deeswift

I'm gonna disagree with the weight-lifting. The way to improve scratching is to SCRATCH. Do it over very fast beats for extended periods and you'll get past the burning sensation. Go to 120 - 140 BPM and cut for hours.

Weight lifting had a BAD effect on my scratching, it made me shake like fuck sometimes. And weight lifting won't improve your musicality, you're just wasting time.

Dee - lifting really heavy quantities to the point of exhaustion will make you feel week afterwards (especially if you're not eating right). However, developing the muscle does enable a person to gain greater control over it. I remember when I lifted weights I could isolate and flex muscles in my back that I definately could not do before.

Guest Deeswift

We're talking about scratch techniques though, and the way to improve is to put serious amounts of practice in. How many of you guys cut for 12 - 16 hours a day? I bet none of you do. Whatever though. Weights messed me up and didn't improve my cuts one bit when I was doing them. If it works for you bro, it's all good, but I don't see the point of it.

*EDIT: I wasn't lifting really heavy quantities to the point of exhaustion.

I'll say one thing -- if you want to be good, you will. You have to LOVE scratching. No amount of weight lifting will help, you have to get on your instrument and put the work in.

mixer -----------------------> the window.

bastard still works.

the three sticker thing confused the goddamn hell out of me. Only thing i truly understood was the DIY vid where q SHOWS you...I'm kinda thick like that

Something else I forgot to mention is I've not had anyone to cut with for about three years - I think I've just got tired of buggering about on me own and listening to my own boring-ass patterns and stuff, its got to a stage where i'm really thinking about just giving up and selling the whole lot as I do need the money and can't see any improvement coming on the horizon at all.

The three sticker thing helps some people. Just put say a red sticker at the start and end of the sound and a blue one in the middle. Then you move the record from red sticker to red sticker, clicking the fader each time you pass the blue one. It works well if timing is your problem.

I have people to cut with but I haven't scratched for 2 months or so now. My mixer is stored under my bed gathering dust. Thing is, I know that sooner or later I'll get back into it. If I sold my gear I'd only blow the money on something crap anyway and on the brief occasions I do cut, I enjoy it. I've never been in it to try and be the best or enter competitions.

Guest Deeswift
I've not had anyone to cut with for about three years

Same here, that's why I get so bored with scratching nowadays. Since I moved away from all my friends in 2002, I have barely cut at all in comparison to how much I used to. I was practicing every day, with friends, people off the Internet, all kinds of shit, and we had proper practice sessions. .

The best practice I ever got was with Awkward when I lived in Bristol. We would cut from getting up until going to bed, with short breaks for food, pissing, and to roll spliffs. This went on for years! Those were my favourite times. Since then, I haven't met anyone who can cut with me for more than a few hours at the very most, people drop like flies when you get the electro beats out. Me and Awk would rip the same 135 BPM beat for 3 hours at a time and then move onto the next one. And the more we did that, the more enjoyable it was.

Having someone to bounce off and inspire you is important. If you have no one to share ideas with and no one to feed you creatively, it almost feels like a waste of time.

Dee, this was Pete's tip and clearly its had a positive outcome for him haha

As of right now, I'm not lifting, but once I get a little better (I'm still ill really) I wanna start heading to the gym once in a while and try it out for myself. Logically, it makes sense to me that it would help you control the forearm muscles

Guest Deeswift

As I said, if it works for you, that's great xander. I wanna warn people about 1: The time wasting -- spend that time SCRATCHING. And 2: The possible negative effects of weight-lifting in order to improve scratching.

mixer ----------------------->  the window.

bastard still works.

the three sticker thing confused the goddamn hell out of me.  Only thing i truly understood was the DIY vid where q SHOWS you...I'm kinda thick like that

Something else I forgot to mention is I've not had anyone to cut with for about three years - I think I've just got tired of buggering about on me own  and listening to my own boring-ass patterns and stuff,  its got to a stage where i'm really thinking about just giving up and selling the whole lot as I do need the money and can't see any improvement coming on the horizon at all.

I don't have anyone to cut with period.

From where I come from, the DJ's here spin dance music.

Just practice... 'f' the three sticker method. =p

Guest Deeswift

Yeah, whatever works! Steve's right. I know people who learnt to flare by using that method, so I wouldn't knock it. #

SoCal -- I thought there was loads of scratch DJ's in Cali?

i had to punch my friend in the back of the head cuz i yelled his name over 10 times and he didnt respond when he was dinking on my decks

sometimes being too right brained is a bad thing :p

Edited by Sinergee

Guest Deeswift
i had to punch my friend in the back of the head cuz i yelled his name over 10 times and he didnt respond when he was dinking on my decks

ROFL! I get like this... yesterday I was doing something on the PC and there was an ENORMOUS thunderclap (apparently) which I didn't even hear, like house shaking stuff. About 10 minutes after, I looked out the window and said "shit, it's been raining?", and my girl was like "didn't you hear the thunder?"...

ROFL! I get like this... yesterday I was doing something on the PC and there was an ENORMOUS thunderclap (apparently) which I didn't even hear, like house shaking stuff. About 10 minutes after, I looked out the window and said "shit, it's been raining?", and my girl was like "didn't you hear the thunder?"...

i used to get that when i was in my teenage playing video games till my eyes went square phase.. i wouldnt know there was a heavy storm until the computer or tv flickers or turns off.