Problems with Turtablism!?!?!?!

$a!n+

ok ill answer, i think if your making scratch productions, you need to follow the guidelines set by all sample production eg keep the shit in key and in time and mix it properly, try to flip the samples so they are unrecogniseable, the rest is up to you.

So you think if a samples recognisable its bad?

Well I can mojority of the time here the signature sounds of certain guitars, and I can also usually tell what notes are being played. Because I can site what kind of guitar is being played and the note being played, does that make it bad?

Everything is a catch 22 in turntablism.

I think its a different thing, if i sampled an e note from a guitar riff on a certain record you could probably tell me what note it is and maybe even what kind of guitar is playing it, thats cool- but if i took a whole arrangement off a song and looped it and you could recognize what song that was from then i think thats bad, but as i say its up to the individual in the end.

edit reading that back i dont even know what im talking about,

...thats what I am talking about. No rules to break and I like to break rules. So if the first ruls is having no rules, well I am going to break the rules and try to set some.. Uhh or whatever...

Guest $mooth

I feel the same way with samples and sound that might, or probably have been used before, and I don't know why, coz I've always used samples + synths in my tunes, which will have most definitely been used before.

It is like I feel I am cheating or something.

Maybe I'm just being stubborn or something, but it seems like I need to make something totally new, and I think its holding me back. I haven't made any tunes, or even scratch beats, for AGES.

If I create a song using only the UPR is that a my song or a rucker remix?

This is one thing that gets me. I am reluctant to even use the kick/snare/hat that are in the same drum loop, to make a new one, these days, unless I am going to try and warp and distort it so it sounds nothing like the original.

Maybe my outlook on music has changed, perhaps took a turn for the worse, coz it ain't helping me.

This shit shouldn't bother peeps like me, being a Dn'B head, and Dn'B being a form of music which borrows very heavily on other

i think STD, as a whole, embraces all sorts of production methods. we snatch up from anywhere.

loop up a break from a battle break on the loop pedal...and start to build. get the backbone of the track done...redo the drums with something original....or...

bang something out on reason or fruityloops and build that way.

the rest of this discussion seems to be over semantics.

and frankly, i'd perfer to just make music.

surely if it sounds safe then it's good? i wouldn't care if someone sampled some obscure 60's reggae-motown-rocknroll indonesian tribal music or some crunk by lil jon, if it sounds good i'll listen to it...

this thread is getting way to complicated...musics always been around..birdsinging etc (and im pretty sure they dont worry about taking someone elses song and remixing it...or even if its in the right key etc)

just do what you like..if you think it sounds good then keep it up..dont like it then stop.

theres no real rules in music but guidelines to help understand music. by trying to disect music and look at it intrically you r missing the bigger picture..its there for ppl s enjoyment.

its like looking at the blade of grass...you can find how its made..how its been constructed..why its been constructed like that etc...and all the time you r missing the beautiful field and everything that is going on around it

^^yeah thats a good point rygon, but I still think its all about the benjamins.

Do whatever the fuck you want with the instrument or tool you have. Whether the general public regocnise your tool as an instrument is irrelevant. Whether you make 'beautiful' music that the critics enjoy or hard, earthy shit that people go nuts to , its all equally valid. Don't get too hung up on using just turntables though, as this can really limit your horizons if you do.

Me, I like both kinds but I'm not too worried by critics(not they're likely to hear any of my stuff) and love to see people go wild. :@@

Guest Deeswift
Don't get too hung up on using just turntables though, as this can really limit your horizons if you do.

Ahhh, word to the 'nana man. I'll add: Don't get too hung up on listening to one style of music either, that's gonna fuck you up and limit your creativity way more than using only one instrument.