.:KNOPPIX:.

Max

Knoppix is a Live Linux CD based on Debian GNU/Linux. That means it is a full distribution of Linux that runs off of a 700mb cd. This is immensely useful as a file-recovery tool when windows crashes, or as an emergency OS. It's also very useful if you simply want to get an idea of what Linux is like without having to repartition for a dual-boot setup or use a second computer. It has full support for networking/internet, USB/Firewire, and even cd burning.

It took me approximately 25 minutes to download the ISO, burn to cd, and have my computer running a full-featured copy of linux.

Some basic instructions and comments:

First, download the nearly 700mb iso from the site at the bottom of this post. The file is listed on a variety of different global servers on the "Get Knoppix" page. Make sure to download the most current version of Knoppix. At the moment the most current version is 3.8.1. When you download the file, you're looking for a file that looks like KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-08-EN.iso. The file size should be close to 700mb. Anything smaller is the wrong download.

Breakdown:

KNOPPIX- obviously means Knoppix

V_3.8.1- mean version 3.8.1

2005-04-08- I assume means april 08, 2005 (download whatever date is most current)

EN- means this distribution is in English. There are other distributions in German (DE), and I believe French (FR).

Next, burn a cd using the .iso file (drive image). If you've never done this before, don't worry. It's a basic function supported by all current cd-burning applications.

Before you can run the Knoppix Linux OS, make sure that your boot priorities are set to read the CD drive before the Hard Drive, otherwise your computer won't recognize the cd when you restart. This can be changed by modifying the BIOS settings, usually by pressing F1 when the computer first starts up, or in some cases can be set in the windows control panel.

Insert the CD and restart the computer.

The Knoppix boot dialog will display, giving you several boots options. You can boot into the stable version of Knoppix by entering "knoppix" into the command prompt. You can also boot into the experimental v2.6 if you like, as well as Expert setups for the stable and experimental versions, by entering the commandl listed next to the boot configuration into the command prompt.

This will start the Knopix Linux OS. It's very easy to get the hang of. The cd burning capabilities are a life-saver, and the built in drivers are incredible. It had no problem at all recognizing my optical mouse, my sound card, my cdrw/dvd combo drive, and a number of options for my video card that I never even knew I had in windows. I also had access to the internet (it comes packaged with Mozilla and another web browser) and to my school's local network. Amazingly, I had access to every file on my hard drive, even though windows refused to boot because it insisited the volumes were corrupted. Knoppix also comes packaged with a copy of Audacity, the free audio editing/multi-tracking program, and a copy of Open Office, which is crucial if you're like I was, trying to finish writing a take-home final exam when your computer failed.

http://www.knoppix.net/

Guest Deeswift

I'm definately gonna give linux a shot once I get a router. Right now, I am using a USB ADSL modem which will only run on XP. This is down to drivers. Once I get the cash to switch, I'll be giving linux and Win XP 64 bit edition a try. Good to see someone other than me and Steve contributing to the DVKB mate. Cheers.

• 2 months later...

I discovered today that Knoppix seems to only work with the NTFS. It can set up flash memory and function to some extent, but FAT16/32 formatted hard drives apparently can't be modified in any way. i.e the OS runs alright, and you can copy from the local HD, but you can't edit it in any shape or form.