DIY speakers

I was wondering if anyone #1 had any good websites to read up on DIY speakers that isnt like audioasylum, which is impossibly to navigate, and #2 if anyone has any recommendations for parts, like subs/midrange/highrange shit for DIY. i wanted to go with a dynaudio sub, but apparently they dont sell just the speaker anymore =(. thanks in advance.

one.

Not really ontopic, but all JBL speakers/cones/subs/filters can be ordered from Harmon-Kardon directly.

If you have a store near you that's willing to sell them at really low margins you could rebuild any JBL Premium series speaker yourself, except for the cabinet ofcourse.

Same thing for B&W, though parts are more expensive, and the best thing about B&W is the cabinets (like the ones with the irregularly shaped pins on the inside to eliminate any unwanted vibrations).

Imagine building your own Nautilus :d :d :d

Edited by ripple

Guest Deeswift

Best speaker in the world, period

Exactly.

Being a bit of a B&W fan I have some pics lurking on this hard drive somewhere...

Still using my old B&W 602 series 2 speakers, still going strong since '99 and I'm yet to hear a better pair of stand mounters.

post-5-1114179983_thumb.jpg

post-5-1114180019_thumb.jpg

post-5-1114180041.jpg

post-5-1114180067.jpg

Nice! You rockin' a sub with that too? I think the bottom end 's just a bit underrepresented in them. All the rest is fine though ;)

I'm still saving for the 603 series 3, though i just got a raise so the 700 series have become an option as well.

Don't know for sure if they're as good for their price as the 600 series though...

Edited by ripple

Guest Deeswift

600 series rock man, been a user since 96.

I do have an active sub, but I don't use it. I have loads of stuff I don't use at all! Sony dolby digital surround amps, etc. Nowadays I just tend to use a straight up hifi setup. The X-A2 is one of the best purchases I ever made though. It's an amazing amp. This tiny amp looks small and sweet but it's a true audiophile amplifier, and LOUD too.

Guest Deeswift
That amp is sweeeeet!! How much it set you back?

I got it for £350 (should have been £500). It was hard to find because they stopped making them around 2002, and I searched the whole country. I actually found one in my home town :o so I snatched it up. It was an ex-display model, but in absolutely mint condition. I had been searching for months, and there it was sat in a hifi store I rarely visited, just down the road from where I live!

The build quality is just awesome. Kinda have to see it in the flesh to appreciate it.

Guest Deeswift
TIP : You should try bi-amping those 602's, just get a ghetto 100W amp for the highs, you won't know what you're hearing.

There's no reason to Bi-amp the 602's, the top end is awesome, crystal clear. The tweeter is based on the Nautilus. In fact the whole frequency range is well balanced. I have them bi-wired with Cable Talk 3.1 wire, and it does a decent job.

yah ripple you fucking cunt ;). j/k. but most people dont bother to build speakers, looks like ill actually have to get off my ass and google it myself......such is life, i was mostly just looking for a sub recommendation.....not really a whole speaker design, at least if i had a sub i could build from that.

TIP : You should try bi-amping those 602's, just get a ghetto 100W amp for the highs, you won't know what you're hearing.

There's no reason to Bi-amp the 602's, the top end is awesome, crystal clear. The tweeter is based on the Nautilus. In fact the whole frequency range is well balanced. I have them bi-wired with Cable Talk 3.1 wire, and it does a decent job.

I've always had them bi-amped at the job, found them to sound a little different at high volumes when used with a single amp.

And i'm just a snob when it comes to speakers :p

Guest Deeswift

Me too mate, but buying a cheaper amp to handle the upper frequencies wouldn't do a better job than the Musical Fidelity X-A2 does. I wouldn't mind a couple of these babies though! Basically, unless I could buy something which did a better job than the X-A2 and for reasonable money, I might consider it, but I think it'd cost quite a bit. I don't think the reviewers were kidding when they suggested the X-A2 could embarrass amps costing twice it's price. Just happens to suit the 602's very well indeed, it's beautifully matched. I would like a speaker upgrade though. Floor standers would be nice, maybe some 603 or 604's. Currently I have the 602's on Atacama SE16 stands, which are sand filled. I would rather have floor standers these days.

Well the 602.5 is very good value for its price, though the difference with your 602 is minimal.

The 604 is a bit overrated i think, 603 might be the best buy. Or just get a ASW 650 sub to go with your 602's.

As for amps i've never been too fond of spendin 1000s on it. To me an amp amps and that's that. I really can't hear any difference between my Pioneer 514 and a € 1000 NAD amp when properly used.

Guest Deeswift

Oh I heard BIG differences by just switching amps when I got the X-A2. The difference was pretty phenominal. I was using an old beefy Kenwood amp before this, it was quite expensive in it's day, but the difference was like opening a window in a dark room. All of a sudden, my audio collection seemed to renew itself because I heard sounds I'd never known were there, years later. Just listening to music was enjoyable, it didn't matter what it was. I will probably keep this little beast for as long as I can, I just can't praise it enough.

I'm not keen on the 602.5's, I heard them in a shop a friend of mine used to work in (SuperFi in Sheffield). He set up various different configurations with the B&W range they had in there, and the 602.5's were quite thin sounding, I thought. Maybe I just expected too much from them, I'm not sure. My own system seemed to have a more solid bottom end anyway. There are too many variables to test this accurately though, such as the room itself which would make a huge difference.