Nintendo Revolution Prototype (photo)

Guest Deeswift

Nintendo needs a revolution after their horribly launched gamecube campaign, they basically forcefed micsoft and sony with their market shares, personally ill always have a thing for mario and all my childhood friends that helped me waste some of my childhood so id hate to see them fuck up this next round like sega did, its all about timing, launch too quick like sega and youll go bust because your system will be shit, launch to late like nintendo and dont offer dvd compatability to thwart piracy and youll shoot yourself in the foot.

Personally i have ps2, i get games for under 2 quid and the titles seem to be more appropriate for my tastes, i love that manhunt game and the gta series.

looking foward news on the upcoming ps3 and nintendo units, i think xbox is overrated, and im biased against microsoft trying to take out new markets.

Guest Deeswift

Ouch though. The Dreamcast still remains a good system to this day. In fact, DC was awesome for a while. Most of the time I would prefer playing it to PS2, there's just a couple of exceptions though. SoulCalibur for DC was better than SC for PS2, and there was a lot of original titles being released for DC, some crazy games that got little attention. PS2 seems to have a lot of rehashed titles. Plus, graphically the DC still holds up. Take a look at Ikaruga for confirmation, or indeed, SoulCalibur.

I have to admit your right on soul calibur, i bought the game after playing dc in uni at my friends house and i was dissapointed when i played it on ps2. maybe because the pirated version was in japanese meant i didnt get the most out of it, but yeah i doubt that, the game just wasnt as hot.

id be eager to see a sega console but i think they wont enter the ring again, just making games like sonic and such, their genesis and gamegear was light years ahead of the nintendo prods on the market.

Freeloader is like a boot disc, which lets you play import games. Don't know about the ability to boot back-ups though, but I know there's (finally) a chip of the GC, and now with 8cm DVD-Rs, I think GC piracy is finally becoming more accessible. Too bad it's so late in the game though, otherwise they would've sold a few more consoles.

I reckon piracy is good for hardware sales, and also ultimately some software sales. Of all the people who can play back-ups, I'm willing to bet only a small handful will have absolutely NO original games. And these people probably are the most casual gamers who probably just wanted to have a quick bash on a few games anyway.

I reckon piracy is good for hardware sales, and also ultimately some software sales. Of all the people who can play back-ups, I'm willing to bet only a small handful will have absolutely NO original games. And these people probably are the most casual gamers who probably just wanted to have a quick bash on a few games anyway.

I totally agree, console sales went down big time because of lack of piracy,

personally im one of the biggest gamers youll know yet not one of my ps2 games is real, the reason is there is such a massive disparity in pricing, i think its like the equivalent of 40 quid for a real game and less than 2 for the fake, to top it off its very hard to find real ones compared to fake i mean they are all over the place.

for n64 however, even though they had fake ps1 i didnt like ps1 and resorted to resorting to "looking for that present smaller than a vdo but bigger than a cassette" or for my bday when dad go overseas and cop some games. if they had a used market for gamecube games id be more inclined to have got one, my lil bro has game cube and he loves it, personally i love gta series and i love manhunt, winning 11 so the ps2 is the logical choice.

i saw a gamecube which was a limited edition and played dvd had cool stainless steel miror looking exterior, was ass expensive, i remember thinking what a shame, my loyalty to mario and pals would have made me get a GC if they made it compatable to piracy.

The Panasonic Q, I think it was called.

There was one sitting in the window of my local indie (Skill2K in Ealing) for the longest time. It probably got sold since Panasonic stopped making it.

I've never pirated any games for the GC; but the main method is the PSO exploit (like the DC before it, lol). I've played plenty of games this way at my mates house, it works very well.

I have no idea if the Freeloader can boot back-ups, I DO know the small media is very hard to come by, though. I heard that there used to be loads of manufacturers of mini-DVD's, but they were bought out/paid off during development of the GC. The only mini-DVD-R's around AFAIK are those sold by manufacturers of some digital camcorders that use the media, and they're damnned expensive.

I personally use the Freeloader to snag US import copies of games on Ebay for about £3-5 a time. So I get cheap games and they're all legit.

Ah I just had a look at the name, liam as in ratfink on snatchcon right?

whats happening man I remember chatting breeze with you on modding shit back in the day, the story about your friend who modded the nokia colorless phone to have diff shades of grey was hot.

anyways yeah maybe ill check out these knock off emulator things for the next generation of consoles i knew there was this one for the n64 that enabled the piracy of cartidges, it was like a cd rom thing that dropped into the slot. i should of gotten one looking back and thinking about how many games i bought all at real prices. would have saved myself money.

used prices on n64 games are hot tho, the n64 was good enough to play still and not suffer from too shit a framerate like 3d games on the saturn and ps1. i bought dukenukem recently, great nostalgic game that reminds me of the past, too bad i cant give cash to the dancers tho....

Edited by Nelson

• 17 years later...