DJs using the pitch slider to try and play well-known tunes with locked tones

Steve

^^^That Noise one is the best I remember seeing. IDK if this Craze one counts... kinda is toning but not quite like how it's normally done. Crazy B did some toning... there are a couple in this set (first one is meh but second one it's cued up to is decent for the time period) (also holla! Doggystyle setup!). Swamp had a couple that were basic but still pretty cool (also did needle dropping). 

• Like 1

I mean this shit always sounded pretty cornball to me. Let's be honest, it's out as tune as fuck.

I recently went on a little mini tour filling in for Dubba Dutch with Dat Brass band (they're all proper trained musicians). I was pretty embarrassed when drunk trumpet came on by Kid Koala and they had to turn it off it was so out of tune. 

I know that to most people they don't care and the name 'drunk trumpet' obviously show Kid Koala knew it was out of tune. But still, it's sometimes humbling to hear what other people think of turntablism. 

My other friend who plays guitar and who once came to a Super Scratch Sunday couldn't stand it either. He was just like, "it's just a load of people taking it in turns to make a load of noise."

I have to admit, I've had similar thoughts. You get the odd routine in turntablism that is pretty much the bees knees, but the majority of it is wack (I include myself in that list too ha)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, d00ban said:

I recently went on a little mini tour filling in for Dubba Dutch with Dat Brass band (they're all proper trained musicians). I was pretty embarrassed when drunk trumpet came on by Kid Koala and they had to turn it off it was so out of tune. 

I know that to most people they don't care and the name 'drunk trumpet' obviously show Kid Koala knew it was out of tune. But still, it's sometimes humbling to hear what other people think of turntablism. 

Oof. That Drunk Trumpet dig hurts. I was mindblown when I first saw it. Any chance you played Live Human for them? Been a long time since I've given it a listen but remember that being really well done.

My other friend who plays guitar and who once came to a Super Scratch Sunday couldn't stand it either. He was just like, "it's just a load of people taking it in turns to make a load of noise."

Sounds like you need some new friends :P

I have to admit, I've had similar thoughts. You get the odd routine in turntablism that is pretty much the bees knees, but the majority of it is wack (I include myself in that list too ha)

This is basically why I stopped juggling. Or trying to juggle since i was shit anyways. 

• Like 2

Oh wait, you said "well known tunes.". The best I can come up with then would be ISP Klams Uv Death where they do the Original Concept "Knowledge Me" / Masta Ace "Born to Roll" routine.  Not sure I'd classify those as "well known tunes". 

Was never a huge fan of the whole tone thing, even with the C1/midi.  When you start busting out London Bridge and Mary Had a Little Lamb it's even worse.  The first time 8-Ball didi it, it was cool because of the concept.  After that it was corny.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 12:38 AM, neks said:

the first piece in this video would probably fit and I don't think it was ripped off from someone else either

100% on this though - noizes set TOTALLY blew my away back in 96....still one of my favourite DJ sets of all time.....

. . . that, and furious and fresh Js set from the same year - I remember, me and Steve talking about our fav DJ routines (must be 20 years ago actually, jesus) and he downloaded furious and fresh j from me on 56k modem through soulseek....it literally took MONTHS AND MONTHS to finish downloading (bear in mind, youtube an shit didnt exist back then - or even the technology to support it, so if you wanted to see DMCs or whatever... so your options were VHS, or some sketchy quality 'real media' file - if you could even find one)

After such a long drawn out process to see "my favourite DJ set of all time".....All I remember is steve saying - "WTF....THIS is one of your favourite routines?!!??" LOL. 

and yes - it still is, Steve. ;);););) .....bombastic, bom bom bom bombastic!!! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2