Scratching poll

Steve

Do you still practice scratching?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following most applies to you?

• I still practice scratching as regularly as I ever have
    • I scratch from time to time, but not as much as I used to
    • I rarely turn my DJ gear on these days
    • I took a break from it, but I'm starting to get back into it again
    • I sold my equipment and no longer scratch

i never really considered myself as a good scratcher.  I realize that i have my own style thats not technical at all. I've found that most cuts that i hear from others that i really enjoy are the more basic scratches.  It really dosent need to go past babies and stabs to be funky. Dont get me wrong, i've heard some amazing super technical cuts. and i applaud anyone who can pull those off, but the simple cuts is what resonates with me. all that aside...... when i turn the tables on, its usually to work on a mix and not practice cuts.

I've been getting back on the cut lately, especially when @djnumnuts created that thread about purchasing a new mixer and subsequently skratching again. While others have basically posted the same thing over the last several years, it was his post that motivated me to get down. Really glad I did because I've been loving it, but my drum machine and keyboard gets most of the action.

On a related note, I've been having issues with my tables. One of them the RCA is clearly fucked, and the other, I don't know what's up. Fortunately there's a local shop that can fix them, I just need to pull the trigger and take it down there.

• Like 1

def still scratch from time to time - give me half a day and I'm 'pretty much' back to where I was 15 years ago (would have been my peak)

if I was surrounded by people who were still really active, id probably be doing more tbf, but its good to keep the base level skills up. That said, I barely EVER cut on my own - and never have, either. There's a good handful of people who cut locally and Auckland has quite a strong DJ scene with Serato being based here too...theres DJ koncept, kitty kutz, jesuskut to name a few you may know of... but its hard to lock the time in when you've got an "adult life" ;)

I guess lots of people have kids too, which would chew even more time for things like this

As a bit of motivation to practice, I've been considering buying a new mixer - Id quite like something decent, but I'm pretty sure a second hand S9 would do it in fairness...im using an old RANE56 here, but dont really like the Ranes for some reason - although sound quality is great for recording / production use (I've got a nice condition 08PRO back in the UK which Id love to get at some point)

• Like 1

I used to have around 7 super active turntablists around my ass. We used to scratch and produce/perform scratch music which was the greatest of times. Now I have 1 left (all the others still cut but not really regularly). But I still have a studio together with 4 peeps (most of them make beats and love to play too much poker) and my nuclear-bunker-turned-into-a-studio at home where I cut. So every Tuesday and Friday I'm either scratching or make beats on my MPC2Kxl

It's definitely more fun being in a group. Both pushes you and just more enjoyable. I always struggled practicing by myself. 

• Like 1

Scratching is something which doesnt seem to leave me, my scratchbuddy with whom i also did a lot of music together moved to rotterdam like a decade ago, we had a good vibe always which still exists when we start cutting again

Although there is other blokes around here that cut but, the feel is different.

I never considered myself to be good and actually its something i never cared about, scratching itself has always been magic for some reason and i like to play around with it.

Also scratching brought me a lot and to a lot of places....but there is periods i totally hate it:)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have a little scratch at the odd gig sometimes (like in one venue i play at I'll cut over one instrumental track at some point), I play 2 or 3 times a week, but I haven't had anything set up at home for maybe the last year and a half, and wasn't doing much before that.  I sold my Technics when i left Argentina, and have 2 pdx 2000s and 1 2300, But to be honest they're decent to scratch with, but i hate juggling and mixing on them and that's more what I'd like to be doing now.  I must pick up a set but I'm picky, want to find M3Ds in nice condition and they don't pop up as much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...