KASPERSKY ANTIVIRUS

Steve

.:. KASPERSKY ANTIVIRUS .:.

A manual for version 5 of Kaspersky can be downloaded HERE. Right click the link and save the pdf file to your PC. It's 100 pages long and contains in-depth information about all the possible settings.

Exclusions can be used to speed up the performance of the real-time and on-demand scanning. It is impossible for certain file types to contain a virus so why bother to scan them? To configure exclusions, simply double click the Kaspersky icon in the system tray to open the main window. Click on the Settings tab and then on Configure Real-Time Protection. Click the Troubleshooting link at the bottom and check the box next to "Enable the list of excluded objects", then click the Change button. Click Add on the new screen and then either browse to any files you want to exclude from scanning to add them, or type in the mask for the file type and hit Select. Repeat the above steps for on-demand scanning.

Here are some examples of masks you may decide to include...........

*.mp3

*.wav

*.avi

*.ogg

*.txt

*.pdf

Files with those extensions cannot be infected with a virus. If a real virus is renamed with one of those extensions, then double clicking it will NOT infect your machine as the code will not be executed. Adding these file types (and more) to the list of exclusions will speed up scanning and use less resources on your machine. This is especially useful as most of us have a lot of music and video files on our machines and scanning these for viruses is pointless. It's worth pointing out that .wmv video files may contain embedded links to websites so you should not include these in your list of exclusions.

It is VITAL that you use these settings correctly. Don't add any file type that could possibly contain a virus to your list of exclusions.

I dunno if it would affect you much mate - on my PC it's definitely made a difference, even though it's only a small one. I have a load of massive wavs as part of my mixtape and they took ages to scan. I guess any tweak to speed things up is worth doing though.

Using the method above you can exclude whole folders, so you could exclude your root mp3 folder and any other folders where you are positive the files are clean. I'm not too sure about that method though in case a file dodgy file crept in there and was ignored.

Guest Deeswift

OK. I don't think anything dodgy would creep in, to be honest. I have a seperate partition for music, it's the only thing on that drive (apart from 1by1). I have another partition for downloads (me and my bloody partitions, I have 8 on this HDD), and everything that's downloaded is checked and retitled (I use all CAPS for music and remove any ID tags) before it gets copied to the audio drive, so I keep a watchful eye on everything that goes on there. I'll just exclude the entire drive, I doubt anything bad would make over to it.

yo sig, i figured that kaspersky froze up (as well as my whole pc) whenever it scanned my email. what i did was just set it to where it didnt scan emails but umm, what up with that? im hoping it still scans my mail in real time tho. other than that, it works fine.

I dunno why it does that man. As long as your Windows updates are current then the only thing you gotta worry about as far as email is concerned are attachments. Just don't open a 30KB file that says "Here are your important documents" and ends in the .scr extension and you'll be OK. :(

It makes a noise if it detects a virus or a dodgy script on a webpage. If it's only doing it when you're on the net then you're OK but if it's doing it when you're not then it means you have a virus on your machine.

To turn off the sounds, double click the K icon next to the clock, click the Settings tab and click Additional Settings at the bottom. Then uncheck the box that says "Enable sound notification" and hit OK.

• 3 weeks later...

To add extra protection, double click the tray icon, then click the Settings tab. Click on Configure Updater and change the Update type: to "from Internet, extended databases" as in the image below.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevebluck/images/KaspUpd.jpg

This adds extra antivirus definitions for common diallers, hijackers and other nasty stuff lurking in web pages. It brings the total number of viruses protected against to 103,004 (at the current time).

To check how many viruses your version is protecting you against, click the Support tab and look on the right under Product Info for "Anti-virus database record count:".