Any new ultra-cheap battle mixers? Maybe looking for effects, too...

mfsop

I currently don't have a mixer and don't look to get too serious about scratching again, but if there's a decent option at about 100 bucks used, I might change that.

Looking for: At least decent crossfader and not terrible sound quality. A few simple effects. Small.

I know the old stuff like UMX and Stantons, but I'm not familiar with the new Mixar and DJ-Tech stuff and since there may be more OK-ish models, I thought I'd ask if there are any recommendations.

http://www.djtechpro.com/eng/product-details.php?id=20

This is probably gonna be the cheapest scratch mixer you can find. It is great for one thing - scratching. No send/return or EFX, kinda wonky monitor setup. Great price tho and comes with an innofader. 

Pioneer DJM 707. Super slept on mixer. Crossfader is not as on/off as most people want, but it has that buffer zone if you got that flare. And has solid send/return and such. Pioneer makes good chit. I've bought it at least twice.

• Like 2

The old battle mixers from the early to mid 2000s are the best you can potentially get for that money. I’ve owned 3 - the Vestax PMC 08 (would definitely be outside that price range though), the Rane TTM56i (would be around the £200-300 mark) and the Allen and Heath Xone 02 (anywhere between £100-300, depending on condition). All three have send and return for an external fx unit. 

I loved the 08 for the sound but I had a couple of them both with problems (the left channel volume was wrong, then replaced it and the crossfader burned out in days). The Rane TTM56 is the old warhorse of battle mixers but apart from the faders, I never really loved it. Plenty of people swear by it, though. Both of those have good external fx options. The 08 is more sophisticated with two different fx loops but the TTM56 has a very good single loop. 

But I really loved the Xone 02. Decent faders and upgradable too and just felt really nice - utterly solid and dependable. Very basic fx loop (no wet/dry control onboard) but absolutely fine. I had to get rid of mine but am still on the hunt for one and you could get a bargain. In fact, there’s one on eBay at the moment for $129. You can’t go wrong…

Haven’t tried the 707 but they tend to go around the £100-200 mark, I believe.

I’d go for something like those over a cheap newer mixer.

• Like 1

I love the Rane TTM-56 for its flexibility, sound quality and build quality.  Faders are good for scratching and it's got a great etc loop, all sorts of fader options (curve, reverse, channel swapping, etc.). It also has pans.  Tough to get one for $100 but expecting anything decent for $100 is tough.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 11:45 PM, JHouse said:

Pioneer DJM 707. Super slept on mixer. Crossfader is not as on/off as most people want, but it has that buffer zone if you got that flare. And has solid send/return and such. Pioneer makes good chit. I've bought it at least twice.

You can get a used 909 real cheap too. Also way slept on. Thats my favorite mixer. Stock fader is decent and can upgrade to a innofader.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone - I forgot about the TRX and will keep looking. There's a shoddy DIF-1S which looks OK if I can find a good one.

I like the 707's quality and fader but I'd prefer to get something smaller, something about the size of a Pioneer 250 maybe. I'd mostly use it for some rare sessions, mostly dropping samples and scratching just a little bit. ( #FellOff )