How often do you upgrade your tech?

Steve

I like to have the latest stuff whenever possible, but I think we're well past the point where certain phones and PCs, for example, are "good enough" and there's very little incentive to upgrade.

With games consoles, I like to be an early adopter if possible, but I'm still rocking a PC that's almost 10 years old and it runs great.

What type of person are you? Do you like to grab the latest and greatest thing, even if you don't really need it? Or do you rock the same phone, PC, etc. until you feel like it's so outdated that you kinda have to upgrade?

The constant swarm PC upgrades is sort of a masturbatory experience that masks all the depression behind it.  

I go all out when I build a new PC every 10 years like you.  After that,  I no longer care about eeking out every last frame for gaming. What I have is enough.

I really don't care about a new phone until it is 5 years old and slow.

Videography is such a money pit and I wish I never got into it.  When you have nicer stuff you get the results right away.  It's right there in the image.  Then you need better microphones, sound recorders, and lighting.  Then you discover that your gaming PC that is super awesome for games is weak shit for compositing and rendering.  Youtube is a huge machine for churning through camera gear.

• Like 1

Video-Games: Stopped buying a console for a long time after the Gamecube...then my wife bought the 1st Wii (ZUMBA!!!)

Mobile-Phones: I always inherit my wifes iPhones (as she always buys the newest iPhone once it drops).

PC: I always got a good laptop (mostly a former work-laptop...as they tend to replace our gear quite fast at work). But all my other PCs are still running on X to the mf P (SP3) as I don't use them for browsing the intanet

I wouldn't mind always having the newest and coolest...but my kids tend to use my stuff too...

• Like 1

Not:)

I got a pc running win7 for the studio part, which stays offline.

I had a hackintosh presented recently so i might migrate to it, but i foresee some trouble that my audiointerface might not be recognised by the latest version of OSX

Phones i cant really care about, battery life of an SE seems fairly ok till now, camera is soso

I do get sick of N.I not supporting older gear, so it's a matter of time that the Z2 will not be supported anymore

• Like 1

Although I like to piss money away I'm not at the cutting edge of anything or pushed to upgrade.

I did buy a PS5 / new TV on release, but other than that I'm not bothered. Desktop PC and monitors are now 7 years old and no real need to upgrade unless they catastrophically fail. Phones I don't really give a shit. DJ wise I'm set now.

The next big thing for us could actually be whether to go electric on our cars. Both are now over 10 years old, so when they blow up I suspect it will be electric. I'd like to keep them running for a few more years though.

• Like 2

I want a PS5 but i dont have time to play it.  Not to mention i cant afford a ps5 right now.  hell, I started cyberpunk on ps4 months ago and never made it past the training. I havent touched the ps4 or any other console in months. So maybe in the next 2 years I'll get a ps5. I want to get myself a nintendo switch as well.

My laptop is about 5 or 6 years old. and its starting to show signs of needing to either be replaced or wiped clean and start over.  one of those past updates has done a number on my laptop. now if i really need to do something, its best to start it up and let it sit for about an hour before using it.  plus i would like another laptop or pc just for recording. I use reaper as a daw, and it dosent really like when i have 2 audio interfaces running at once.  It considers my z2 to be an interface as well.  If i have both running then i lose my midi controls on my zoom interface. its a pain in the ass.  

phones. i finally paid off me and my wifes phones.  not too quick to get the latest and greatest.  honestly, there is nothing that these new phones do that i really need.  

dj gear.  I love my z2 and i really wish ni would put out an upgrade. not that i want one, but im afraid that this is it for traktor scratch mixers. and pioneer and rane are like 3 times as much as i paid for this z2. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty slow to adapt. 

DJ/Production Laptop: Mac for me. Only update when mine either is too outdated or breaks. Try and buy the best available fully maxed out when I do update. 

Phone: Every 4 years maybe. Usually I get a new iPhone that's 1 gen old so slightly discounted. 

PC Desktop: Haven't had one in a while. Have one old Optiplex that was converted to be a NAS but haven't run it in years. Trying to decide what to do with it. It's loud and hot. And my drive with all my movies is kaput so IDK what I'm gonna do. 

Video games: I've tried to keep relatively current and usually updated a year or two after a system comes out. I'm finding that harder to justify because I just don't have time to play and still have many great games I've barely scratched the surface on. 

DJ/Production Gear: I don't really upgrade. Maybe upgrade the fader or something which is always a little bit of a waste since i'm not very good at scratching. Generally my gear is old but it does what I want so i keep it. Window shop a lot tho. I just can't justify any upgrades given price, skill level and what I already has functions. 

• Like 3

it really depends - I like to have a good enough phone to do what I need on - I rely on this for my work (opposed to a PC cos I'm largely out and about on the road) so that's gotta be good enough and powerful enoug

everything else....im a verhy, very late adopter - because I like to get a bargain haha

• Like 1