Valve announces the Steam Deck (Update - New OLED models announced)

Steve

A hands-on from IGN: -

I can't see this taking off tbh, much like "Steam Machines", which nobody talks about anymore.

It's not that there's no market for it, but how big is the market for PC gamers who want a handheld where they're effectively playing with a controller, not a keyboard and mouse?

Also, it runs SteamOS, not Windows, and a lot of big games are not currently compatible with that, including Destiny 2, PUBG, Apex Legends, and Rainbow Six Siege.

4 hours ago, JHouse said:

I hope this thing doesn't take off. Last thing we need is another 2bit tranny trying to txt and play video games while driving their vegetable oil powered shortbus.

Too late man: -

On 7/19/2021 at 6:39 PM, scottie(the)goonie said:

I reserved mine.

😛

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Steve said:

The release of this has been pushed back to February 2022 due to supply chain issues.

Not surprising really. I work for an electronics manufacturer and we’re getting quoted 70-80 week lead times on some parts. The general consensus is that things won’t be back to normal until 2024/5.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

@scottie(the)goonie Have you got yours now? If so, what do you think of it?

One day I'm sure it will be possible to have a version that's capable of high resolution/framerate output over HDMI, then it would be a really attractive device IMO. A friend of mine has one and uses it hooked up to a monitor with a keyboard and mouse, but she's not really that bothered about graphics and high framerates, where I definitely am (to a point). Right now to me it's just a pretty awesome handheld, which I know wouldn't get much use if I bought one.

@Steve

I actually passed when it was my turn to order it.  I had the opportunity to invest in a few "things" while I still had the chance but it tied up about $3000.

After seeing some reviews on the deck, I didn't realize just how big the damn thing is.  I think I'd rather have a small laptop + xbox controller than try to lug this thing around.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

They've announced a new revision with an OLED screen instead of an LCD. Other improvements include Wi-Fi 6E instead of Wi-Fi 5, a 50Whr battery instead of 40, and a die shrink of the APU to 6nm. It will come with either a 512GB or 1TB SSD for £479 or £569 and it'll be available from November 16th.

They are discontinuing the 64GB and 512GB LCD models and they are being sold off at the reduced prices of £309 and £389 respectively, which is the cheapest they've ever been. For some reason they are going to continue to sell the 256GB LCD model alongside the new OLEDs.