Folks with Android phones, which music player app are you using?

Steve

I've been using PlayerPro for years, but my phone recently got updated to Android 11 and since then, scrolling through my album list is jerky when I try and scroll really fast. As I have a couple of hundred albums on the phone, I often need to scroll up/down the list fast, so I'm looking for a replacement app.

What are you guys using?

I've installed Poweramp, which seems decent, but I've not played around with it all that much yet.

I'm currently using doubleTwist (https://www.doubletwist.com/) - but even looking at that website is confusing.

The app installed on my phone is "doubleTwist Music & Podcast Player with Sync", and I think I paid a few quid to get rid of ads.

The thing for me is I've never quite escaped iTunes for general audio library duties. I have an old iPod Touch in my car which I bring in every so often and re-sync with iTunes. So doubleTwist will sync my Pixel phone with my iTunes database file (though I choose it by playlist as I could never tell what the fuck it was doing when trying to initially sync 100 GB of full library audio). It's not 100 % perfect and a little aggravating to get set-up (some weird bullshit about a dummy folder to trick it and then the way it handles "duplicate" files has caught me out a few times.

My audio life is a bit annoying at the moment. I buy from Bandcamp where possible, subscribe to Spotify, use iTunes for what is mostly my CD rip library. I'm now trying to organise stuff for Serato and have been buying old tracks from various sites (Juno, Beatport) and so I have files coming out of everywhere but keeping it all together feels harder than it ever used to be. I'm seriously thinking iPhone as my next phone just so the iTunes side is sorted, but I don't want to give in to Apple. If I get a new car with Android Auto or something that will help me escape. I should just get a bluetooth receiver in my car and use my phone for everything.

• Like 1

I ended up purchasing the premium version of Poweramp as it's only £3.99. I copy music over manually via USB, so I don't really care about syncing, although the Windows music player I use, MusicBee, can do that. Poweramp seems pretty slick, so I just need to get used to its interface.

i was using Black Player but after my phone updated a few months ago, that app stopped working.  well, it worked but it would read the music that was stored on my sd card.  most of my music is on the sd card.  so i switched to an app called Music Player.  both apps are similar. They both find whatever music you have on your phone. you can play by album or by artist.  Both have a search function.  Both are free.  Im on a samsung galaxy s10e by the way.  my biggest gripe might be user error.  I started tagging all of my mixes under the same album so i can find them.  for one of the mixes i tagged it the same album title but i capitalized the first letter. so that created a whole new album in the app instead of putting it in with the other mixes. not the biggest deal but a bit annoying.

• Like 1

I use Pulsar+. It's simple and it allows me to browse by folders in addition to tags. I like transferring new songs to a folder and load it up as a playlist.

I bought Poweramp years ago but never quite liked it.

• Like 1