If you could have any mint condition boombox, which would you pick?

Steve

I can never really make my mind up cos there's handful of top contenders, but I would love a Conion C100-F: -

huJ8BP9.jpg

Buying used boomboxes is a bit of a minefield because certain parts degrade really badly over time and getting spares is a nightmare, but if they announced a limited run of brand new ones in 2021 and I could afford one (which I couldn't), I would fucking love one of these, even if it ended up being yet another dust collector.

• Like 1

I would definitely take that too Steve. I don't know a lot about em... if I could figure out what I had as a kid and get it that would be cool. Tried buying some on ebay and they are always fucked or break soon. A lot of the parts impossible to find... maybe if you had a 3D printer. 

I had a JVC one, but it was not even in the same league as that Conion. I believe this is the one I had: -

u1jBaWb.jpg

If it wasn't that exact one, it was very similar.

Even thought it was kind of a Mini compared to the Ferrari that is that Conion, I still loved it and took it all over the place.

I've had several boom boxes over the years, but nothing awesome. I would love a BumpBoxx for many reasons, from overall sound and options to available replacement parts. Yeah not retro, but damn, this thing is fuckin' dope. Apparently comes with Mr. Microphone, too.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, djdiggla said:

I’ve never even heard of that brand Steve. Still around?

Conion? They were otherwise known as Coney-Onkyo, and I assume they eventually became just Onkyo, but I don't really know much about their history. I know they made radios in the 60s and 70s and a few boomboxes in the 80s, but I dunno what happened to them after that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JHouse said:

I've had several boom boxes over the years, but nothing awesome. I would love a BumpBoxx for many reasons, from overall sound and options to available replacement parts. Yeah not retro, but damn, this thing is fuckin' dope. Apparently comes with Mr. Microphone, too.

^^Holy shit! Those are like $900! Crazy. I do like the pager case speakers tho... especially the DJ Screw purple ones. Wish they had a Selena one 🔥

10 hours ago, Steve said:

Conion? They were otherwise known as Coney-Onkyo, and I assume they eventually became just Onkyo, but I don't really know much about their history. I know they made radios in the 60s and 70s and a few boomboxes in the 80s, but I dunno what happened to them after that.

Oh crazy. Yeah I know Onkyo. They still make nice gear. That boombox would for sure be top of the line. 

35 minutes ago, mfsop said:

First CRT TVs, now boomboxes.. What's next? Will you guys stop using a pen and look for vintage quills on ebay? Will this be your new bike (Oh hi @doppelkorn)?

whip.jpg

You know those front wheels were pretty ingenious. Kept you from faceplaning if you hit a pothole or off cobblestone. 

My brother has one of these JVC tubeish Boomboxes. He bought it in the last millenium and that thing is still working and sounding like a charm. They still make them (more updated versions) although I think the aux-in is only mono (for mic or guitar).

• 3 months later...