cd's

rygon

just wondering..right (very hard thing at the moment) about sum of you making mixtapes.

i know dub-7 is tight on the ole decks and wouldnt mind some of his mix tapes. and im reckoning i'd like to hear others too.

so would it be possible for ppl to give a whole mix album out to whoever wants it. i was thinking about if sum1 can upload..then others download, but it could possibly be hard for ppl on 56k. so i was then thnkin of puttin it onto cd.. but then again i wouldnt want sum1 giving away a new mix tape out every week when they aint good enough for ppl to listen to it repeatedly (is a waste of money for the person giving it out if sum1 is gonna listen to it for 10mins find it awful and chuck it..thats where uploading will come in handy). but i was wondering if when ppl was proud of what they had done put a snippet on the pc and if ppl liked it would ask for a copy (for a price just to cover the expenses????) this way others would hear your work and it would also be a cheap form of music to listen to (and in most cases better than albums you could buy in hmv).

i would be willing to give out say 10-15 cd's for no charge to others (only when i am happy abot the mix) as long as they give feedback.

what do others think?????

ps..where r u all from??? anyone living near grimsby who would want to hook up sumtime for a couple of mixes

Check the Introduce Yourself thread in the Announcements section to find where people are from mate. I'm from Stafford in the Midlands.

I've just made a mix CD actually. Well, it's not quite finished but it will be soon - professionally designed covers, proper DVD style cases, custom Technics platter style CDRs. Shame the mix is so wank though.........

Thanx for the props on the "professional" cover design. Yeah I wanna copy. I cant download shit on my flintstone connection!

OH yeah!

I think that the answer to the question was, both. Its beat to just let people download it to listen and make hard copies for friwnds that are close and that you can mail to. No need to x-out either outlet.

haha nice1 sumbody actually understood my question (even i couldnt in a sober state lol)

ive heard that broadband is gettin a facelift by the standards..cos any1 is calling their stuff broaband if its faster than 56k. theres now gonna be a legal minimum of 300k if u wanna call ya service broadband (that means ntl is upgrading from 150k to 300k)

Guest Deeswift

This has been the case for a while, I think. Tiscali were told off for claiming their shitty 150k connection was broadbizzle. Tossers. I hate those bastards, they locked me into a contract for months when I didn't even use their "service". Oftel sorted it out in the end, but basically they wouldn't let go of my phone line and I couldn't sign up to any other ISP.

PlusNet rocks.

yeh unfortunately im on 150k with ntl....theyve been pretty good but i know i can get faster broadband for cheaper but i dont think my parents want to cos they phone line is with ntl as well and i think u may have to change the phone company...i aint really looked into it yet

In the U.S. You dont have to swich phone service providers. You can have a Qwest phone line and a PCI Systems DSL Line. two companys, one wire. it is like that by law, otherwise, its a monopoly, which was outlawed in the 1890s in America. it should be about the same in the UK/EU

That's true in some cases in the UK too. Some phone service providers insist that you use them as an ISP though. It's in the small print when you sign up. I don't think it's to do with monopolies because if a company lays the wires and other infrastructure to connect your house to their network, then they should be entitled to say what goes down those wires to some extent right?

Monopolies were outlawed here in 1623 btw.

..i take it we arent talkin bout the game????

just looked at my connection and it has doubled to 300k for the same price which is kool. all ntl speeds have been doubled for the same price.

i dont really need a too high a speed connection cos i dont really download big files (tried to download reason..1.66gb says its gonna take 67hrs)

my bad..thought all of them were doubled. tryin to download of edonkey

was going at 10kb/s approx...and that was the fastest ive ever seen it download

its never been that fast....i just did a internet speed checker and it came out to be 184kb/s dunno how good the checker was as its for american. but i thought 300k would register better than that. know of any other checker or even an optimizer (dunno if they work though)

just did it again and it cam out at 295kbps / 36.3K bytes/s

Edited by rygon

That's only about half what you should be getting. This could be down to several things. One could be spyware or adware using some of your bandwidth. If you're sure you don't have any of that then it could be you need to tweak your connection.........

http://www.speedguide.net/

If that doesn't work then you need to contact your ISP because quite frankly that's not an acceptable speed.

Try the speed test on this site too.............

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp