madlib "sound ancestors" (2021)

djdiggla

I'm really feeling this. 

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/28/961520721/madlib-heads-back-to-the-future-on-sound-ancestors

Sometimes, rumors are all we have to go by. The one about a new Madlib record, Sound Ancestors, started in late October: The British producer Kieran Hebden, better known as Four Tet, who's spent the last few months of quarantine releasing new music and excavating old tapes as part of audio-visual mixes on his YouTube page, mentioned that he and Madlib, the Los Angeles beatmaker born Otis Jackson, Jr., had been working on an album together. Confirmations of Madlib recording projects are as storied as his actual and prodigious output, often without bearing the fruit of actual music. To wit: word of his collaboration with drummer Karriem Riggins had been floating through message boards for nearly a decade before the album, Pardon My French by Jahari Massamba Unit (another note, Madlib loves messing with names and identities, and creating new artists/bands), finally dropped in Nov. 2020.

• Like 4

Years back, when I was living in California, I hit up this dude on Craigslist selling his MPC. I asked him if he would be down to trade a few ounces of prime herb for his AKAI. This was before weed was legal there for recreational purposes, but it was okay for medical. Anyways, he replied with "Dude, you're fuckin' stupid. How do you know I'm not an undercover cop?" My response was 'Because cops don't have drum machines.'

• Haha 1