NEW RANE ONE DJ CONTROLLER

savwar

On 3/13/2021 at 9:38 AM, Deft said:

You think I can afford an iPhone?! Shit man, what's the Android alternative?

I'm not sure if it's a joke due the price of the Rane One, regular macbook prices and the fact it doesn't require the latest iPhone/iPad to run (but maybe one of these for the realtime spleet stem separation) but if not... sorry to say that it will come someday but maybe too late. Split separation in stems maybe could never arrive to android counterpart chips to Apple silicon or maybe yes... too dedicated technology and too much fragmentation. If Android can't get proper audiomidi and standarization... IDK... 

Apple silicon chips are going to skyrocket what these devices will do in the next future and Android will need to push even more to be on par (after they got proper audiomidi etc) but there's hope. Almost apps like Koala work for android so... my bet is "late" but "someday".

Rumours pointing about new iPad pro running Logic this Q2, which is more than possible if Apple wants since M1 chip on new macbooks it's just an improvement over the latest iPad pro chip (which was the base for the Mac Mini SDK for developers)

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21299275/apple-mac-mini-developer-transition-kit-silicon-chip-wwdc-2020

https://www.musicradar.com/news/apples-new-ipad-pro-could-have-a-chip-as-powerful-as-the-macs-m1-so-does-this-mean-that-an-ipad-version-of-logic-pro-is-coming-too

OT end.

Edited by Mutis Mayfield

@Dan

My initial reactions after using it for an hour or so is roughly what I expected. I always thought the Rane Twelve scratch performance was plenty good enough, and this is the same thing (no surprise). My frame of reference is a bit skewed, as I don't think I have ever scratched with real 7" records before. The acrylic disc thing on these (fake record) are quite light and slippery. My Rane Twelve has a real vinyl record on it (one of the first batches), but someone was saying they switched to this acrylic disc on those too. I'd be tempted to put a heavier real record on these, though I expect I'll get used to it. If you are constantly switching between real vinyl and this it could get annoying.

It's a nice size / format. I'm looking forward to actually doing some mixing, and I need to learn all the Serato features / effects / buttons on this thing which I've never used before. I used to just open Serato and cut, and never did anything else. The overall size means it feels a bit cramped for cutting. I'm strong hand on the record and tend to flap about and move my hand a lot, and you just kinda run out of space with 7".

Crossfader seems nice enough, and you can adjust the cut-in distance in software (thank fuck, the first thing I did was notice there was too much distance for me...). Upfaders are stiff garbage and I caught my finger nails on the metal panel groove / gap between the mixer and turntable bits. Again, even after 30 mins of cutting you start to adjust your hands / style a bit.

Realistically, I can't believe anyone prefers cutting on this kind of setup vs. a 12" format and proper scratch mixer. That's the compromise you expect. The platters have pretty strong torque. I'm a bit old fashioned and stuck in the past. If I could get 2x Rane Twelves (with pitch bend buttons), and use my Scratchbox I'd be good (basically my Technics and simple mixer setup circa 1997). Having said that, I haven't quite got the space for that anymore - and having all the Serato features accessible on your hardware should be fun. Like I said before, I'd tried mapping things to my Nanopad but I can't get on with generic mapping and no hardware labelling.

But in the end, like I said at the beginning - it's what I expected looking at the thing. No obvious issues with buttons / build quality.

@Mutis Mayfield

YOU KNOW ME, I'M A JOKER. But more seriously, I have Serato running on my desktop computer which is a 90 degree head turn away - so am kinda interested in a ready to go solution on a tablet or phone, rather than investing in a separate laptop just for running Serato so I can stare at a screen directly in front of me. I could Google, but does Serato run on iPads / iPad pros? That would work OK and someone else in the house would get some use out of it more than they would a laptop on a stand.

5 hours ago, Deft said:

@Dan

My initial reactions after using it for an hour or so is roughly what I expected. I always thought the Rane Twelve scratch performance was plenty good enough, and this is the same thing (no surprise). My frame of reference is a bit skewed, as I don't think I have ever scratched with real 7" records before. The acrylic disc thing on these (fake record) are quite light and slippery. My Rane Twelve has a real vinyl record on it (one of the first batches), but someone was saying they switched to this acrylic disc on those too. I'd be tempted to put a heavier real record on these, though I expect I'll get used to it. If you are constantly switching between real vinyl and this it could get annoying.

It's a nice size / format. I'm looking forward to actually doing some mixing, and I need to learn all the Serato features / effects / buttons on this thing which I've never used before. I used to just open Serato and cut, and never did anything else. The overall size means it feels a bit cramped for cutting. I'm strong hand on the record and tend to flap about and move my hand a lot, and you just kinda run out of space with 7".

Crossfader seems nice enough, and you can adjust the cut-in distance in software (thank fuck, the first thing I did was notice there was too much distance for me...). Upfaders are stiff garbage and I caught my finger nails on the metal panel groove / gap between the mixer and turntable bits. Again, even after 30 mins of cutting you start to adjust your hands / style a bit.

Realistically, I can't believe anyone prefers cutting on this kind of setup vs. a 12" format and proper scratch mixer. That's the compromise you expect. The platters have pretty strong torque. I'm a bit old fashioned and stuck in the past. If I could get 2x Rane Twelves (with pitch bend buttons), and use my Scratchbox I'd be good (basically my Technics and simple mixer setup circa 1997). Having said that, I haven't quite got the space for that anymore - and having all the Serato features accessible on your hardware should be fun. Like I said before, I'd tried mapping things to my Nanopad but I can't get on with generic mapping and no hardware labelling.

But in the end, like I said at the beginning - it's what I expected looking at the thing. No obvious issues with buttons / build quality.

@Mutis Mayfield

YOU KNOW ME, I'M A JOKER. But more seriously, I have Serato running on my desktop computer which is a 90 degree head turn away - so am kinda interested in a ready to go solution on a tablet or phone, rather than investing in a separate laptop just for running Serato so I can stare at a screen directly in front of me. I could Google, but does Serato run on iPads / iPad pros? That would work OK and someone else in the house would get some use out of it more than they would a laptop on a stand.

Serato needs a laptop to run it - there is no standalone iOS app (wish there was). However... you can use Serato Remote via an iPad so you can keep the laptop more out of the way and use the iPad instead. I always thought 'What's the difference? You're still staring at a screen' but even when I used it with an iPhone it felt better than staring at a laptop, particularly if you are used to staring at a laptop for work, just using a phone or better still an iPad feels strangely liberating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottie(the)goonie said:

@Deft 

Have you actually cut on 7" vinyl before (not DVS vinyl)?

I might have, for a nano-second, but not a regular occurrence.

59 minutes ago, jeljms said:

Serato needs a laptop to run it - there is no standalone iOS app (wish there was). However... you can use Serato Remote via an iPad so you can keep the laptop more out of the way and use the iPad instead. I always thought 'What's the difference? You're still staring at a screen' but even when I used it with an iPhone it felt better than staring at a laptop, particularly if you are used to staring at a laptop for work, just using a phone or better still an iPad feels strangely liberating.

That Serato Remote thing sounds good. The wife has an ancient iPad I could steal.

• Like 1

@Deft I try to keep myself polite at forums because I never know the mood just from text xD

Anyways the options are:

Serato Remote as @jeljms pointed.

Surface like tablet (Dj Lyrical B smoking kutz has a nice setup based on Fujitsu Q)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMVMG8FFkMj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Djay Pro app (the video I posted)

Wait for DjPlayer pro to add support (it's the nearest to Serato as app in iPad/iPhone)

Custom solution based on Raspberry Pi, Rasteri Sc1000 or FPGA like the mad russian and the technics DVS.