New scratch gear advice

Bivalau

Hi everyone, 

old skratch head here (early-late 2000’s, old Slatch Alienz forum days, name was Biva Lau in case anyone was around back then?), not been able to even touch my tables for at least 5 years, and havn’t been consistent on them for about 10 due to not having space for them in my current place, but we’re in the process of moving so I’ll be able to get set up again soon.

So I’m looking for advice about what mixer brands are good for scratching these days? Not bothered about effects or plugins, just want to cut over beats, but will likely still want something like Serato at some point.

My existing gear:

1210s are on order (first thing bought to replace my always crap Gemini direct drives)

Elcer HAK 310 - adore this mixer, but I’m aware that Ecler have gone bust, and it needs new faders. This is definitely the type of mixer I’m interested in though.

Shure M447s, again I get the feeling these don’t get made anymore?

So any buying advice would be greatly appreciated, like I said, I’m at least 10 years out of touch and I’m only interested in cutting and scratching

cheers

I've not used them, but at the top end I guess you have the Pioneer DJM-S11 and the Rane Seventy. Both are Serato compatible and that's where the main scratch mixers are now (i.e all with integrated soundcards and pads etc)

All the old stuff has gone, Shure, Vestax, Rodec etc. Even Rane are now not the same Rane of old (acquired by a bigger company).

For me, a native instruments Z2 does the job, perfect for analog cutting and pricewise its at the bottom compared to pioneer, easy to switch to Traktor if you feel like going digital since the mixer is an audio interface too.

Although i slowly start to worry how long it will be supported, brands nowadays don't seem to care about their previous models to keep them compatible with the latest version of either Win or Osx.

• Like 1

If you don't want to spend too much right now, you could also get an older mixer on ebay, for example Pioneer 707, Hak 360 or something along those lines. Those can still compete with new mixers in my opinion. Then once you need an upgrade and know what you want, get a new one or add a Serato box to it.

You can get Ecler Pro faders for £32 from Thomann. Even though it says they're for the Nuo 2, it's the same as the faders in the Hak 310. Another option would be to get an Innofader Pro or Pro 2, assuming you're otherwise fine with the 310.

I have a Z2 and I think that's a solid recommendation, as for £370 you're getting a really good mixer with a great crossfader, built-in sound card, Traktor software, and the time-coded vinyl.

For carts/needles, the Ortofon VNL have potential as a Shure M44-7 alternative as they've clearly been designed with that in mind, but I don't know anyone that's actually used them yet. If I was buying new carts today, I would take a punt on those.

• Like 1

Still very happy with my Z2, and Traktor for that matter. It's great for cutting, both in analog and digital. Actually, I absolutely love the suite of NI products (Maschine MK3 and Komplete S88 for example) and they all work well together. I've triple down on NI since purchasing the Z2 several years ago.

I would just put new faders in the Elcer.

If you don't need DVS and want something different, I still highly recommend the Rane TTM-56 (out of production but still a beast).  They did everything right with this mixer and my original from 2003 is still running (I did have to replace the capacitors in the power supply a few years back).  Fairly cheap on eBay and the faders pretty much last forever. 

If you want DVS, I agree most people are using Pioneer and Rane these days.

Yep, M-447s are gone.  If your old ones are still good I would keep those.

Thanks for the advice everyone, Yea I loved the Rane TTM-56, was out of my budget at the time though. Still the best faders I ever used on that thing.

I might get some Innofaders for my Hak310 for the timebeing, but I’ll keep an eye on Z2 prices in the meantime.

My M447 carts are fine, but the styli are both fucked. Is there a company who does good knockoff styli for these or not? 

On 1/11/2021 at 1:30 PM, Bivalau said:

Hi everyone, 

old skratch head here (early-late 2000’s, old Slatch Alienz forum days, name was Biva Lau in case anyone was around back then?), not been able to even touch my tables for at least 5 years, and havn’t been consistent on them for about 10 due to not having space for them in my current place, but we’re in the process of moving so I’ll be able to get set up again soon.

So I’m looking for advice about what mixer brands are good for scratching these days? Not bothered about effects or plugins, just want to cut over beats, but will likely still want something like Serato at some point.

My existing gear:

1210s are on order (first thing bought to replace my always crap Gemini direct drives)

Elcer HAK 310 - adore this mixer, but I’m aware that Ecler have gone bust, and it needs new faders. This is definitely the type of mixer I’m interested in though.

Shure M447s, again I get the feeling these don’t get made anymore?

So any buying advice would be greatly appreciated, like I said, I’m at least 10 years out of touch and I’m only interested in cutting and scratching

cheers

Aw what up man! I was on Alien... long time ago but vaguely remember ya.

I would pop an innofader or proX in that Hak. IMO would be well worth the investment. Unless you are looking to do Serato or Traktor then maybe a Pioneer or Rane with it built in. I personally prefer ProX but they aren't as universal. Innofade has some referbs and B stock if the price is too much. Also you might be able to take apart the faders you got (or at least the volume ones) and get them cleaned up and working. Either way I wouldn't junk that mixer. 

For needles I guess you really only got Orto since Sure went away. Maybe get some and mount on headshells. One thing to note is they recently redid their line so probably best to get some of there newer ones because the styli are not interchangeable between the new line and old for the most part. Might find yourself with new needles and no replacement styli being manufactured anymore if you're not mindful of that. I'd just go with the Scratch OM or something. 

On 1/13/2021 at 1:15 PM, Bivalau said:

Thanks for the advice everyone, Yea I loved the Rane TTM-56, was out of my budget at the time though. Still the best faders I ever used on that thing.

I might get some Innofaders for my Hak310 for the timebeing, but I’ll keep an eye on Z2 prices in the meantime.

My M447 carts are fine, but the styli are both fucked. Is there a company who does good knockoff styli for these or not? 

i got a pair of Jico's about maybe 9 months ago.  they slide right in the 447 carts.  Im not a big scratcher but i cant tell the difference in performance.  1 table has the jico and my other still has a 447.  they perform the same to me.  i havent noticed any skipping or differences in volume.  you should consider them.  got mines on amazon.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 8:15 PM, Bivalau said:

These mixers are built like a tank, so a used one might still work perfectly. They have become really cheap nowadays (about $200) because everybody wants to have built-in interfaces and buttons.

I was in a similar situation a while back and wanting to play with DVS was high up the list but I didn't want to spend over a grand on a S9 or Rane.

I bought a Numark scratch in the end (after seriously considering the DJM-S3 / 250). It lacks a few things I'd like but honestly don't regret the purchase for the money I paid.

42 minutes ago, dextrous said:

I was in a similar situation a while back and wanting to play with DVS was high up the list but I didn't want to spend over a grand on a S9 or Rane.

I bought a Numark scratch in the end (after seriously considering the DJM-S3 / 250). It lacks a few things I'd like but honestly don't regret the purchase for the money I paid.

Yea I saw these ones, but I didn’t know whether to trust them or not as the Numark mixers were shit back in the day. 

i know someone with the numark scratch.  he has no complaints.  he's also not a scratcher just a regular mix dj.  but it has the same inno mini for the crossfader.  not sure about the line faders.  the inno mini came in my z2.  its a nice fader. i upgraded to a inno pro2 mostly for the adjustments and i like a heavier crossfader.  but the i think the scratch is a great start that wont break the bank too bad.  

• Like 1