Ortofon Fun Generation - Is it different to regular Concordes?

mfsop

I really need new needles - my old Concordes have the shitty flat contacts and cause loose connections.

Has anyone tried the Fun Generation Concordes?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fun_generation_scratch.htm

Are the needles interchangeable with the regular Concordes or am I missing something? It only has 5mV but is the cartridge the limiting factor or would I get a louder signal if I eventually replace the needle with a Ortofon Scratch?

I think you'll end up with a 5mV output. The Concordes are moving magnet cartridges, so they generate an electrical signal when the magnet attached to the end of the cantilever of the stylus moves in the gap between the coils inside the cartridge. Larger coils and larger magnet = stronger signal.

So, if the coils in the "Fun Generation" carts are the same size as in the Scratch carts, the Scratch styli will give them equal loudness. BUT the differences usually lies in the coils, as the mass of a larger magnet on the cantilever would slow down it's movement (=less detail). Ortofon probably have millions of same sized magnets lying around, so why bother if it makes the cartridge sound worse?

Maybe you can e-mail Ortofon and ask if the Scratch cart have larger coils than the Pro S. It is their cheapest 5mV concorde, so I'm guessing that's what they OEM.

• Thanks 1