RIP Eddie Van Halen

danswift

Just heard that legendary guitarist Eddie Van Halen has passed away aged 65 after a long battle with cancer.

He was one phenomenal musician and performer.

RIP.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8812065/Rock-star-Eddie-Van-Halen-dies-age-65-long-battle-throat-cancer.html

Damn, Eddie was a total beast on the guitar. Really liked his contributions to the band, especially their first few or so albums. Ironically just started listening to them again literally a couple days ago, and then bam, he dies. Fuck.

RIP Eddie Van Halen.

• Like 1

In 8th grade, I had a friend named Fuzzy who could absolutely shred on guitar.  He could play the intro to "Hot for Teacher" and it was amazing.  I had a drumset at the time and could drum it at about 3/4 the tempo.

Long story short, we entered the talent show that year (our school was 6-12th grade) and when we showed up at rehearsals we had never considered that they wouldn't let us play that song.  They shut us down right away.  So we ended up playing Green Day - Brainstew instead.  This was in 1999 I believe.

We joke about it now, but how cool would it have been if we had said fuck it, and played it.  Our parents were in the auditorium and it's their music, so we knew they would like it.  Plus our English teacher was smoking hot and she knew we all had the hots for her.  But yea, Van Halen has a special place in my heart and I love that song.

EDIT: I should have given this more context.  I grew up in Pasadena, California.  Eddie and Alex went to Pasadena High School.  David Lee Roth went to Muir (down the street).  You know how notable alumni always have their pictures plastered everywhere on campus?  At Pasadena City College, there are a few notable alumni.  Van Halen is one of them.  The most popular one is Jackie Robinson.  There's a bunch of murals in the city now.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...