Upcoming DV downtime in October

Steve

Our web host is updating the version of PHP that they use which will break DV as it is now. This is going to happen some time in mid-October, but they can't give me an exact date.

I'm going to have to update the forum software to the latest version, however, you can't do the update without PHP being updated first, so I can't do the update now to minimise down time. I'm going to have to wait until the site breaks, then update the forum software in order to fix it, so there will be some down time at some point.

On a side note, I'm very annoyed by Invision, the creators of the forum software we use. They originally told me that it would cost $25 to upgrade to the latest version and that if necessary, they could do it for me. In hindsight, I should have taken them up on the offer when it was offered, but I had an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude and thought I'd take them up on that offer when I had to, mistakenly assuming I could still get it for $25. I contacted them today and they told me that it would cost $450 if I wanted them to do the update, and $200 if I did it myself. After complaining and saying it was a fucking rip-off, given that we once purchased what was advertised as a "lifetime license" for their software, they offered me a 20% discount, so I'm gonna have to do the update myself and pay $160 for a license that only lasts 6 months. I don't see any other decent alternative.

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be any great free alternatives, plus obviously, we'd have to be able to migrate all of the content over, which you can't always do.

It sucks, but at least once we're updated, we won't have compatibility issues, the forum should be better than it's ever been in terms of speed/features, and I'll only have to pay $25 every 6 months after that if I want to keep up with the latest updates.

Steve, if you need any help, let me know. I've integrated several different software applications over the years into client's websites, plus set up and managed an Invision Power Board, albeit ages ago. On that note, I would suggest sticking with IPBoard given the constraints you mentioned.

If you need more loot to make the transition to their latest software, just say the word and I'll kick down some more skrills, as I'm sure others will too.

• Like 4

Cheers mate. I definitely appreciate the offer, cos I'm not 100% confident about doing this upgrade.

As for paying for it, I'll sort that out. I'm not gonna run another fundraiser. When we did the one to pay for the hosting, I said back then that it would cover the cost of upgrading the site as well, so really, I should have just pushed ahead and done it when it was $25. Obviously, had I know it was gonna go up to $450 I would have, but still. It feels wrong to ask for more donations, even if you guys are willing to offer them, so I'll pay for this.

If you need more loot to make the transition to their latest software, just say the word and I'll kick down some more skrills, as I'm sure others will too.

Ditto

• Like 1

Well, if any of you guys want to donate, you can, but please don't feel obliged. This is the email address for PayPal: -

donations@digitalvertigo.co.uk

Thanks fellas.

Done.

I'm really glad you posted the donations email again because I, and I'm sure many others here, want to contribute to our tight knit community. It would be one thing if you were trying to prosper off the site, running annoying ads, etc., but you're not and it's one of the reasons I love this forum. So it's all good man.

Also, feel free to email me the instructions IPBoard provided you, assuming they did, for transitioning to the latest version so I can have a look-see. HMU at LEGITNERD (at) GroundedGroup.com.

• Like 2

Thanks fellas! I really appreciate it!

The PHP upgrade is being done some time between October 19th and 23rd, so I'm probably going to buy the Invision upgrade around a week before then. There's no point buying it now, as we'd be wasting some of the 1 year of support and upgrades that come with the purchase.

Once I have the update downloaded, I'll hit you up J, cos it will come with instructions I can pass on to you.