Xbox Series S & X prices leaked ($299 and $499), releasing on November 10th

Steve

I've seen a handful of people claim that that's happened to theirs, but it's hard to know if people are trolling or not. In that particular guy's case, Xbox Poland replied to him and are looking into it.

My first impressions are good anyway! It's super quiet and blazing fast. The new controller is nice, although I'll be using my Elite still. I haven't played anything on it yet as I'm still downloading some games.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't think there's any new exclusives out. I planned to play DIRT 5 on it, but I tried it on my Xbox One X and thought it was really bad, so I got a refund. It was one of those games that felt like it was launched at least 6 months before it was fully baked.

For now I'm just checking out enhanced versions of existing games.

Some more impressions.....

I played the enhanced version of Forza Horizon 4 for a while earlier. I can definitely see the difference when it comes to the graphics, but it's not like you'd compare it to the Xbox One X version and be blown away. It looks fantastic, don't get me wrong, but it already looked great. It's nice being able to fast travel and change car in literally a second cos of the fast SSD.

I'm still yet to really hear the console make any noise. In a totally silent room with Forza Horizon 4 running, I can just about hear the fan when I get up close to the console.

Console boot times are super fast now. Even if you use energy saving mode, it boots up in just a few seconds. With instant on mode, it's basically on within a second of you pressing the button on your controller.

The only real change in the OS, apart from the graphics settings, is that the console now has HDMI CEC support. That's a nice addition given that there is no longer any support for Kinect, so you can't use Kinect as a remote control to control other devices in your setup.

The internal SSD has ~800GB of free space on it out of the box (the Series S has 364GB). I've installed 27 games and a handful of apps on it, and I have 87GB free. The games I've installed are a mix of huge titles (in terms of install size) like Red Dead Redemption 2 and smaller titles like Pinball FX3, so how many games you can fit on there really depends on the games you're playing as install sizes can vary wildly.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. While you don't get that "new console feel" you get when booting up a console and experiencing the OS, menus etc. for the first time, I prefer that. It's more like building a brand new PC but still running Windows 10 on it, so it's new, but very familiar.

• Like 1

Regarding that Polish guy who was the first person to post a "smoking Xbox Series X video"......

He is still insisting that he didn't fake it. He did an interview with the largest tech YouTuber in Poland. While the interview is in Polish, I asked someone to summarise it for me in English. Apparently he was downloading a game and heard a kind of sizzling sound coming from the console, so he decided to shut it off. He turned it on again the next morning and after a short time, smoke starting billowing out of it.

Tom Warren from The Verge contacted him and he gave them his story and said that MS were investigating and would be replacing the console. Warren asked him for his case number, but before he gave it to him, he asked Xbox Poland if it was OK and they said no - it was confidential info. He posted a screenshot of his Twitter conversation with Xbox Poland showing that.

He says he just wanted to get his console replaced quickly and didn't expect to be harassed by an angry mob.

If it is fake, I don't really see what he's got to gain from all this. His Twitter account name is his real name. He did the interview via webcam, so he's shown his face on video. He's showed evidence of conversations with Xbox Support, although of course those can be faked too. But why do it? Would you repeatedly publicly lie about a product like this under your own name, showing your face? I wouldn't cos you're asking to be sued. It's impossible to know for sure what's going on though.

As the Series S/X consoles no longer support Kinect I've been using an Amazon Echo as a replacement for voice commands. So far, it's working out OK.....

Without going into too much detail, there are 3 different levels of Alexa commands. At the basic level, for example, you can capture a game clip by saying "Alexa, tell Xbox to record that", which is obviously more cumbersome than "Xbox, record that" via a Kinect, however, if you have linked a particular Echo to a particular Xbox console you can say shorter commands like "Alexa, record that", which is great. The issue is that right now, because of an issue at Amazon's end, those shorter commands don't work, but that should be fixed soon (hopefully).

It's fast and responsive. I was worried that there'd be a bigger delay in between you saying the command and the Xbox acting on it compared to using a Kinect, but that hasn't been the case at all, so you can capture game clips with your voice without missing the gameplay that you were trying to capture.

So, yeah, if you want voice commands back, get an Echo Dot and link it to your console.