Xbox Series S & X prices leaked ($299 and $499), releasing on November 10th

Steve

MS have added a pretty cool new feature for people who like to buy games on disc. You can now install any game digitally, including pre-loading, even if you don't own it. It means that if you buy a game on disc from an online store, you can install it before it arrives, and likewise with pre-orders; you can have the game fully installed so when your disc arrives once the game is released, you just pop it in and play without having to do an install/update.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like my excitement for PS5 is waning a little! My house refurb is behind schedule so I won't have the perfect new environment to play in, I'll be cramped in a random room with a random TV. My life truly has hit rock bottom. Not even sure what launch games I'll get, I think probably the Sackboy thing and do multiplayer with my kids. Could finally be the console generation where I play one of these "Demon's Souls" series games.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:11 AM, Deft said:

I've bought 3 extra controllers, fucking £180 down the flusher.

That's one thing I appreciate about the next Xboxes - the controllers are forwards/backwards compatible, so I can use the same Elite controller I'm using now.

That said, I have had lots of issues with Xbox One controllers, including having multiple ones that had issues right out of the box. The quality of them is really not good in my experience, and that includes the Elites.

I also do kinda wish they'd pushed things forward a bit more, cos I'd have liked to have seen them add gyroscopes, for example.

The PS5 controllers do look good, but I've never liked the layout of the main sticks/buttons since analogue sticks first became a thing.

The regular controller price is $60 and the charging station is $40, so it's a $60 premium, which wouldn't be that terrible if you were getting the latest generation of controller. I don't really understand why it's not.

They have made some nice ones though. I always liked the Gears Elite controller: -

MORNSud.jpg

Woah those are freaky. Cool but not for me!

I bet that markup is in part for Disney's cut. Seems like a lot to be entirely for them tho. 

^^Pretty interesting... Also read that MS is considering bringing Game Pass to Switch and PS4/5 which would be a huge win for them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Steve do you know if my Xbone S external HD will be compatible? Like can I just plug and play? That would be nice. Or at least use the same HD and reformat.

Also, this is a dumb question but if I have a 1080p TV I wouldnt' see any visual improvement, right? Just performance? 

23 minutes ago, djdiggla said:

Steve do you know if my Xbone S external HD will be compatible? Like can I just plug and play? That would be nice. Or at least use the same HD and reformat.

Also, this is a dumb question but if I have a 1080p TV I wouldnt' see any visual improvement, right? Just performance? 

You can play any existing games from your external as long as they haven't been optimised for the next-gen consoles, but any games that are optimised for the Series S/X, which may include games you already own that get updated, would need to be played from the console's internal SSD or one of those pricey Seagate expansion cards. You can store enhanced games on an external, but they won't play from there. Given that the Series S only comes with ~350GB of usable free space, I think it could fill up quite quickly. If you tend to stick with 1 or 2 games as your go to games for a long time you'll be fine, but if you want to install loads of different games it will be a problem.

Also, it is just plug and play, so you can plug your existing hard drive into a Series S/X and your games library will populate with whatever games are on there. Any games that are optimised for the S/X will have a little icon overlaying the main game tile, so you can see which games are optimised and therefore won't run directly from the external.

As for the 1080p question, if you're talking about upgrading from a One S to a Series S, but still using the same 1080p screen, then yeah, the difference should still be very noticeable, at least with games that have been optimised for the Series S, or that use dynamic resolution scaling or whatever. The difference should be bigger than going from a One S to a One X, which is what I did, and I definitely noticed a big difference in optimised games even though I was still gaming at 1080p.

• Like 1

MS have announced that the following retailers will have limited stocks of the Series S and X available for purchase on November 10th, starting at 8AM, so if you're a UKer who wants one, you can still get one before Christmas: -

Microsoft Store
Game
AO
Curry's PC World
Tesco
Very
Littlewoods

It doesn't look like mine is coming. Amazon sent me an email last night saying it was dispatched, but when I look at the tracking info, it does not say it's out for delivery. I just spoke to someone at Amazon on the phone and they said "it will probably be delivered in the next few days", but they could not tell me when, nor why it's not being delivered today.

The expansion card I ordered direct from MS is not coming either. I saw a pending charge for it on my bank account on November 3rd, but then yesterday the delivery date change from the 10th to the 11th, then from the 11th to "Pre-ordered", and at that point, they released the pending charge on my account. I have had no email contact from MS since the day I pre-ordered it.

• Sad 1

I saw that Amazon had the expansion cards in stock, available to deliver tomorrow via Prime, so I thought I'd call MS to find out what's going on with mine.

After waiting for 35 minutes I spoke to someone who could not tell me why my order date had changed to "pre-ordered", could not tell me when I would get the item, but also said that they could not cancel the order. What's the point of the support line? lol. I asked to speak to their supervisor, so they put me on hold, but I was then on hold for 15 more minutes before they came back and said that the supervisor was not available.

So now I don't know if or when I'm going to get it, but I can't cancel the order so that I can order it elsewhere.

The dispiriting world of customer service. I'm not sure what's worse, being the customer or the pointless support person at the other end. Soul destroying for everyone. Hopefully you get it all sorted. Let's see if Argos deliver my PS5 next week.