New "album" from my crew "J.A.R.S."

Me, Alf of Hip Hop Slam, DJ Ragz and DJ Select have linked up maybe 3 or 4 times now for scratch sessions. The first time, it was really just your typical trading bars with a very limited amount of composition. The second time we started spending more time delving into composition, just making it up as we go along. By the third session we progressed into mostly improvising compositions, sometimes rocking over a drum machine, sometimes using beats from a producer named Unown (who Ragz worked with on his group the "Jazz Addixx") and sometimes using scratch drums as a base layer.

Anyway, last week Ragz tells us that he gave the recordings to Unown. Turns out Unown turned the recordings (mostly the third session but also a thing or two from the second session) into an album. This was a really cool gesture and a nice surprise!

If you want to check it out you can listen here

https://vibejars.bandcamp.com/releases

And just to be clear, there was absolutely no planning, no talking about what samples to use, and nobody even knowing who's going to do what at any given moment. We just hook up our turntables and vibe out for a few hours. Aside from some slop you get from winging it, I'm a little floored at how easy it is to make music like this. If you are into this type of experimental thing and have a few DJ friends I highly recommend trying this sort of thing out.

Here's a little promo that Alf did:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_xpx8VAOPX

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

damn dude, wish I could scratch. cool to hear about your process too.

whole project is dope, I dig the basement vibe on track 5, melodic jazz vibe on track 6, dystopian vibes on track 7, in particular

thought track 10 was a great outro as well

• Like 1