Favorite decade of music?

JHouse

For me, hands down, it's the 80's. So much dope shit came out then, including genres. And arguably, that was the golden era of hip hop, plus it wasn't commercialized or watered down like today. The tracks changed up a lot, not just an 8 bar loop, plus the DJ was actually involved. I miss that shit.

What's yours?

I'd be interested to know which decade of music I've listened to the most. I reckon it would probably turn out to be the 80s or the 90s.

The 80s is possibly my favourite too, although I dunno if I'm being swayed because I went through my entire teens in the 80s and discovered several genres for the first time, including hip-hop and electro, which really changed things forever for me in terms of what I listen to.

I know it's a matter of opinion, but I don't think 1988 can be beaten for hip-hop album releases. There were so many dope and influential albums released that year: -

• EPMD - Strictly Business
  • NWA - Straight Outta Compton
  • Big Daddy Kane - Long Live The Kane
  • Eric B. & Rakim - Follow The Leader
  • Slick Rick - The Great Adventures.....
  • Ultramagnetic MCs - Critical Beatdown
  • Jungle Brothers - Straight Out The Jungle
  • BDP - By All Means Necessary
  • Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation.....
  • Stetsasonic - In Full Gear
  • Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - He's The DJ.....
  • Biz Markie - Goin' Off
  • Eazy-E - Eazy-Duz-It
  • Cash Money & Marvelous - Where's The Party At?
  • Steady B - Let The Hustlers Play
  • Mantronix - In Full Effect
  • Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud - Girls I Got 'Em Locked
  • MC Lyte - Lyte As A Rock
  • Run-D.M.C. - Tougher Than Leather
  • Ice-T - Power
  • J.V.C. F.O.R.C.E. - Doin' Damage
  • Tuff Crew - Danger Zone

I'm sure I've missed several, but yeah, 88 was fucking packed full of very good to amazing album releases.

So yeah, if I've listened to more music from another decade, unless it was the 90s I would be surprised, but the 80s was HUGELY influential on me. I discovered hip-hop, electro, scratching, wanted to learn how to scratch and mix (and started doing it), and it was certainly the decade when I was most in love with music and got super excited about upcoming album releases and taking trips out of town to go record shopping.

• Like 6

Blueprint agrees with you:

For me it's either the 50's (so many new styles, new recording technologies that allowed for better sound and longer tracks on vinyl) or 2000's (electronics getting to a point that synthetized sounds no longer stuck out like a sore thumb).

Yes sir, 1988 was no joke. So much fyre came out then, like all the albums Steve mentioned. Damn, it was just non-stop heat. That's when I got into Ice-T, Big Daddy Kane, Public Enemy, NWA, etc,

When I was in Jr. High (7th and 8th grade), we had a juke box that the kids wheeled out to the outdoor lunch area. We would always request Freak-A-Zoid from Midnight Star, as well as Rockit by Herbie Hancock, then bust out the cardboard and start breaking and popping. This was an absolutely daily thing and one of my best memories of my life. Also got into New Wave back then, like Lords of the New Church, Duran Duran, Thompson Twins, The Psychedelic Furs, The Cure, Thomas Dolby, etc. And I still like all that stuff.

Damn, I miss those days.

• Like 2

Mid 60's to mid 70's for me.

Soul on Atco,Atlantic,Capitol etcetera the drum sounds and production of Holland,Dozier,Holland and a ton of glorious Northern Soul which was released towards the end of the decade.

Rudy Mockabee on Atco.

Early 70s Fusion,The Mahavishnu Orchestra,Weather Report,Brand X, Return To Forever,Jazz on Columbia and CTI. Musical boundaries getting warped and pushed to the limits,Prog Rock and all its wonderfull self indulgent madness.

70s Deep Funk,far too many legendary cuts to mention in a single post.

Blaxplotation movie soundtracks are a particular favourite of mine too,just so much dopeness on display,some of those soundtracks are criminally unknown and unappreciated,which is a real shame in my opinion.

Definitely my favourite era of music, hands down,more or less everything else pales in comparision for me personally.

• Like 2

Probably 70s. Most every genre was pretty great in the 79s... but also really dig the 80s... first wave/new wave, trash pop, post disco funk, reggae/dancehall... all that's pretty fresh. If just talking about hiphop it's definitely 90s for me.

• Like 2

70s for me.

Prog (although some of the best prog shit was in 69)

Black Sabbath.

Good 70s Rock

Fusion

And I just pretty much prefer how records sounded.

although if only Iron maiden had popped out that first album or 2 before 1980 and i'd be in heaven.

• Like 1