Pandora vs Spotify

JHouse

Which one do you like better, and why?

I've been curating Pandora stations for several years, which has suggested some really good music to me, but there are a couple issues I'm not too happy about.

1. If I Like something, it plays it repeatedly, to the point where I'm over it. It seldom gives me new stuff per station, and when it does, it's often wack. Sometimes though, it'll turn me on to some new ish I really like, for instance Jel.

2. I'm subscribed to Pandora Plus, so I pay $4.99 a month for ad free* service. Thing is, every time I launch it, Pandora prompts me to upgrade to their Premium service. I always have to click "Skip Trial," thus it's not really ad free listening. That's complete BS and I shouldn't have to skip the f'n trial every time.

So, I'm interested in better streaming services, also ones that provide better financial kickbacks to the original artists.

What are your thoughts?

I've only ever used free trials for Spotify. I like it for sure and it seems to offer a massive catalogue of tunes, but I think I'll always be in the "if I like it, I need it on physical media and/or a digital file stored locally" mentality, which makes Spotify kinda surplus to requirements for me.

Understandable. Yeah, I like to have ish stored locally, but I also appreciate Pandora and similar streaming services because it turns me on to related music...stuff that I might later buy. I just get irritated when it plays the same thing, and the frickin' company ads, hence the impetus for this thread.

I had never used a streaming service until a trial of Spotify last year. Which I ended up not ever using.

Although just before Christmas there was an offer for TIDAL for 4 months for 4 quid or so. So i did it.

I've been using it fuck all, but the main reason I gave it a try is, it integrates with Serato. I've been gigging a lot recently where this would actually come in handy.

I havent actually activated it in Serato yet, but looking forward to seeing if it works well.

TIDAL is a little more expensive at 9.99 for normal, and 19.99 for premium, which is FLAC quality. But the library seems to be on a par with Spotify from what I can gather.

But supposedly Spotify has by far the better recommendations algorithms

So with TIDAL, can you actually download the tracks then and save them to your computer? I would love this solution if that was the case, however, I'm all about the recommendation algorithms, too. I've heard with Spotity that you can actually listen to complete albums, not just a specific track from select artists. This is another huge plus.

I use Spotify a lot - particularly when driving or on the road and it's handy for checking new releases on a more general level. The radio function (there's an option that let's the algorhythm find you music you may like based on a song, album, artist, playlist etc that you like) is also really handy and more often than not I find some stuff I'm into through it.

i've only used the free version of both. I havent used pandora in a few years. i found it to be okay when i was listening to like erykah badu/jill scott types. pandora came up with some intresting stuff then. but on hip hop, it either played what i had already or suggested some wack shit.

now spotify is ehh. on the computer you can listen to whole albums straight thru. if your using the phone app it will only play in shuffle mode and will mix other songs in there as well. that gets irritating when you are trying to hear a specific album. and completely annoying when the suggested songs are trash. plus it will only let you skip like 4 songs an hour. spotify has a tendency to play 2 songs from the album you are trying to hear and then hit you with like 5 or 6 wack cuts back to back so you burn up your skips. then you gotta listen to a ad, just to get hit with an intro or interlude. i think the experience is more enjoyable if you pay for the service. but i pay for to many streaming services just to watch tv.

• Like 1

I pay for Spotify premium and I think it's worth it. It integrates pretty well into Android Auto for my car rides. I'm a fan of other peoples' curated playlists as well. The offline player is nice when I'm going for a mountain drive. Not dealing with files is actually nice.

I used Pandora for years (2004ish) before Spotify existed. I still think Pandora's algo is slightly better than Spotify's.

The trick I used to get the ball rolling with Spotify - There is a chrome extension that copies all of your Pandora liked songs into a list and imports them into Spotify. That helps out a lot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Mike-L - Can you then use the tracks in Offline mode when playing Serato? Just curious if I were playing a gig and didn't have internet access, nor wanted to rely on streaming.

No unfortunately you have to be online. If you have no WiFi you can tether to your phone and stream via 4G if you have the data.

• 10 months later...

I was thinking of getting Spotify today. I had used TIDAL a while ago and it does integrate with Serato as I mentioned above, but i didn't end up really using it DJing or listening in any major way.

But then i decided to look up what they pay artists. And it's quite a difference. so it's worth considering.

So i think i'll probably just go with TIDAL again for a bit. Yeah the algorithms not as good. But I don't need that. I know what I want.

https://www.jtvdigital.com/streaming-platform-pays-artists/

1. Tidal

A more remunerative music streaming for artists is precisely the spearhead of Tidal, a streaming platform acquired by Jay-Z in 2014. To get 1€, you need 89 listenings. No wonder Tidal is the largest music catalog in the world (with 60 million titles and 244,000 clips).

2. Apple Music

Present in the top trio of on-demand music leaders, Apple Music is very lucrative. To earn 1€ on the platform, count 151 streams.

3. Deezer

174 listenings = 1€ for the frenchie of the selection.

4. Spotify

To earn €1 on Spotify, the industry leader, 254 taps are required.

5. Amazon Music

The number of streams is almost similar to Spotify’s for Amazon Music. 277 listenings for €1 on the music service of the American e-commerce giant.

6. Youtube Music

Youtube Music is at the bottom of the ranking and is therefore the least remunerative music streaming platform with 1612 listenings for 1 euro. Artists consider it more as a promotional platform than a source of income.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2019/oct/31/best-streaming-service-mp3-pays-artists

• Like 2

I'm glad you revived this thread because I've been wanting to share my 2 cent on Spotify and Pandora...

Spotify: I love the fact I can listen to full albums of pretty much any artist, as well as repeat songs and skip some.

What I don't like about Spotify is their app, as well as their inability to pay artists fairly. Regarding their app, in many situations I have to click multiple screens just to dislike a song and have it removed from the album or playlist I'm listening to. This is a serious concern when driving around and obviously very dangerous. That being said, they make it super simple to like a song.

The other issue is when I view my library of artists followed, it only shows the songs and albums I've liked. Therefore, if I want to check out other albums by a specific artist, I have to search for them. Again, this is an issue when driving, to the point of having to pull over and type in the artists name, search, go through their discography, etc. So lately I've reverted back to Pandora while cruising around and banging beats.

Pandora: Their algorithm is fuckin' top notch. They turn me onto so many awesome songs and artists just by liking and disliking certain tracks. Often times, the following song is in the same key and style as the previous one, so they often 'blend' together well. Also, it's super simple to like and dislike tracks.

The only thing I don't like about Pandora is the inability to listen to full albums. Other than that, I love it and in fact resubscribed to their premium service.

Never tried TIDAL, but the reality they have the most music, plus pay artists well comparative to other platforms, is awesome. So, I might give them a chance.

I just visited the TIDAL website and don't see any mention of said deal, other than a free month trial.

After looking at their app (from screenshots provided on their site), it appears they don't offer a simple 'thumbs down' button either. On the plus, it's cool they have a streaming service that works with Serato.

I never tried Tidal but cool it links to Serato. I have one (1) friend that has Tidal and he likes it. lol

Pandora... I really like Pan and pay for the subscription. I probably shouldn't anymore because I now have Spotify too but it's so affordable and TBH I like not knowing whats coming up next. I have so much music, if I wanted to make a playlist then I already have.

Spotify... and speaking of playlists I got some serious ones... a 7 hr of my fav hiphop jams and a 9 hour "guilty pleasures" playlist. I would never have gotten if the kids hadn't wanted it but the family membership if 6 ppl (size of our fam) and really affordable for that many people.. For a single person I think it's overpriced. Also I'm slightly disappointed with their catalog. There is some shit that's pathetically not there (most De La Soul, some George Clinton solo albums comes to mind off the top of my head) and then also some stuff that is vomit inducing remakes for them... get it together. You have one fucking job. 

• Like 1

Mr Diggla, it's way worth having both. The way I justify it to myself is when I consider how much I use to spend weekly on CDs and records. Now I only drop like $15/month on music a month, yet  my ears, heart and soul are pretty satisfied.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mrblast said:

Top tip - get a VPN, set it to Argentina, sign up for Tidal's premium package, pay £1.50 a month.

Yeah I found this before. never bothered trying it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vId7Jpl8pBUJNE4ghcuq24R9mD1k5BOsRC85cmnDB5s/edit?usp=sharing

It's a Netflix Prices and Currency Conversion Chart