ISP Bandwidth Caps

Guest Deeswift

Guest Deeswift

Me too, 30:1. You and me are on the same package, I think. Originally it was Broadband Easystart, which included a modem. Not sure what's going on with the speed increases at the mo.

ISPs have nothing to do with contention ratios. It's set by British Telecom. It's like one fat pipe with the Internet coming through it, split into 50 smaller pipes - 1 for each customer. All it means is that if all 50 people are downloading at once then everyone's connection will be slow. That's partly why caps are introduced because all it takes is a handful of massive downloaders to slow it up for all 50.

On their page about broadband it says "All residential broadband products are based on a 50:1 contention ratio."

Is PlusNet also a telecommunications company? If they are, then I guess they could do it, but if you're on 50-1 now and having no problems with slow down at certain times of the day I wouldn't bother changing.

Guest Deeswift

I was just going on this e-mail mainly, where it states 30:1:

Following our recent announcements about the implementation of the proposed fair usage system, we have taken the decision not to implement fair usage. This decision is in no small part due to the changing broadband market and the requirement to ensure that a minority of customers does not continue to impact the experience for the majority.

Withdrawing the fair usage system is not a decision that has been taken lightly and alternatives have been in consideration for some time. We believe that the way to move forward is by continuing to manage our broadband service through contention.

- What is contention?

When you connect to the Internet using ADSL broadband technology you are in effect sharing the connection infrastructure with other customers. The term 'contention' is simply a ratio used to measure the extent of this sharing. Learn about contention in our Beginner's Guide - http://www.plus.net/support/features/contention_guide.shtml

- What happens to my account?

1. There will be no change to the subscription for your service.

2. We will improve the contention level that you registered for, from 50:1 to 30:1. By managing broadband through contention, we can continue to provide you with an enjoyable Internet experience without introducing fair usage guidelines.

Thank you for taking the time to read this information. If you would like further detail, please visit this support page - http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/fair_usage_update.shtml

Ah OK. They haven't updated the website then. So you're not getting a speed boost?

Actually, read point 5 on the page that the fair usage update link points to. It conflicts with the information highlighted in orange. I don't think they know what they're doing! lol.

Guest Deeswift

This is why there's so much confusion man, half the customers on the forums are confused about what's going on.

As far as I know, the speed boosts are still going ahead, from now until june or something.

Guest Deeswift

They have something called BT contention and also PlusNet contention. Mty package is Broadband Easystart, so that's 30:1 PlusNet Contention and 50:1 BT Contention! Fuck knows!

post-5-1114193286.gif

Nah doods, I still think it has something to do with what I was saying about dividing your theoretical bandwidth download limit by the contention ratio, and that's what you should be downloading per month. That's why it's 30:1 and not 50:1, because it's only a 'guide' as to how you much you can d/l without incurring Plusnet's wrath.

I think I read this on adslguide.org forums, and was posted by a Plusnet tech support guy. And Pipex has a 50:1 ratio, but again, they don't have any d/l limits or FUPs or anything like that.

- What contention ratio is Plusnet running at.

Plusnet are currently running contention on their Central Pipes in the region of 30:1

- How will Plusnet ensure that no-one abuses their connection.

Adsl was never designed to be a 1:1 product, and users who download practically all the time can detriment the service for the majority of all users.

Plusnet now have new monitoring tools that take the onus of worrying about caps away from the users.

Any customer who downloads excessively will be contacted by Plusnet.

- How will Plusnet manage these users?

Taken from the faqs.

In changing our approach we will only need to address a very small minority of unsustainable users rather than all of our customers. The average profile of these users assumes a contention of between 1:1 and 5:1 on a consistent basis, which adversely affects the experience for the majority. As we identify these users we will ensure that the negative impact on the capacity available to all customers will be minimised. We will also assist these users in finding an alternative broadband provider where appropriate.

- What is excessive?

Taking the above as a guideline.

A customer on 2Mb has the ability to download a theoretical maximum of 600GB per month.

A customer using his connection as a 5:1 product will therefore be consistently using 120 GB per month.

However it must be stressed that Plusnet are not just looking at throughput. Its all about making sure there is sufficient head room on the network to ensure that the majority of customers are unaffected by contention and dont suffer from slower speeds because of this.

Taken from adslguide.org forums

• 2 weeks later...