In hindsight, after how many months/years of practicing DJing did you start considering yourself to be good?

Steve

well, i took about 2.5 years before i actually made a legit mix. and by legit i mean all songs were blended into each other using turntables, mixer, and cd player. so i would say it took me about 3 to 4 years before i thought that i was good. and thats just mixing. i've never considered myself to be good at scratching or juggling. just okay. life hit me hard before i could really dedicate time to be good at scratching.

• Like 2

Before I had turntables, I use to practice cutting on my steering wheel while driving around and listening to Public Enemy. I thought it was Terminator X, but it was actually Johnny Juice's cuts I was trying to mimic. When I finally got decks, I spent the first night working exclusively on one turntable, then the next night on the other. On the third night, it was fuckin' on! All that steering wheel skratching and a little legit practice paid off 'cause I picked up cutting pretty quick.

A couple months later, I worked out a trade with a local record shop; eCommerce website in exchange for $3500 worth of wax. As a result, I was grabbing new records every week from an array of genres. I would get my web work done around 2 or 3 in the morning, then I would focus on DJn till about 7am. On the daily. Kept sleeping in my office since I didn't want to drive home due to being mad tired by then. Ended up living in my office thereafter as I never went home after that...I just wanted to create and cut.

So, in a long ass round-about way, I became good within the first year. However, I never really did anything with it other than playing some house parties, a few raves, etc. I mostly get down in my bedroom, which still brings me loads of joy.

• Like 3

It's worth noting, I thought I was dope on the cut till I skratched with Astro. That was seriously a game changer. He could generate so much sound out of minimal movements, whereas I could only conjure up a fraction of sound while making maximum maneuvers on the records. That's right, maximum maneuvers, you cunts.

i had a background playing guitar and drums and stuff, so i think i caught on quite quickly.

came 2nd in the Irish DMCs (and 3rd in the Euro ITF) about 3 years in. although meeting Lewis (James) at about year 2 depressed but also inspired me, he was cutting longer but was infinitely better than me.

I was a fucking nerd though, like full on. knew more about scratching, techniques, DMCs and ITFs than anyone i knew. I still have a great collection of vids and DVDs...

i kinda researched more than i practiced, but when i did i took to things quickly enough.

My peak routine wise was between 2004-2006, I genuinely still really like most of my routines, none of them follow the same formula, i think they're pretty original.

My peak scratching was probably about 2007-8 when i was hooking up regularly with Djackulate and Moschops and we played with a drummer.

But then when it comes to actually being a DJ, I learned a lot from 2012-2014 when i was playing regular nights in Argentina, it was a ridiculous bar, lots of expats, dancing on the bar, staff waterpistol-ing vodka into the crowds mouths. I learned how to deal with people just looking for cheese and being demanding, but being able to win them over without selling my soul completely... Although i remember once i left a long tune on when i legged it for a piss, and when i was in there i heard the music changed.... one of the fucking barmen had put on LMFAO before i got back, i was fucking furious... (yes i'm sorry that it was even on my laptop, but it was requested at a party i played at my former bosses house...)

and then playing openformat style stuff at amazing huge organized house parties, where the crowds were open minded, loved a bit of scratching, and i was able to mix every genre that i loved and keep them dancing. GOD I MISS THOSE GIGS.

Now i'm back playing regular nights, and I feel i'm still learning more about the flow of a night and about understanding the crowd.

before i play somewhere I do a lot of research.

And i think i'm the best wedding DJ in the world. and the most modest.

Although now i'm currently embarrassed by my cuts, but playing these gigs is helping me in a lot of ways, so i'm actually touching my turntables more, so hopefully the cuts will improve.

(I've never posted a freestyle cuts video.... ever!)

This is waaaaaay too long

• Like 2