PDX-2000 sudden backspins

virak

Got myself a Vestax PDX-2000 (Mk1) at a charity shop for the pricely sum of £55 today. Yay!

However, I've had it sitting spinning on my coffe table for a few hours now, and a couple of times it has suddenly backspun a couple of turns at a really high speed before resuming to normal speed as if nothing happened :(

Is there a fix for this?

I remember people talking about this a long time ago, but I really can't remember what the solution was.

Check Padster07's post here though: -

http://www.fixya.com/support/t477894-vestax_pdx200_platter_keeps_changing

Also, the user Jazzbin in the replies there claims to have photos of a fix that he'll provide if you email him. His post is old, but it's worth a shot to see if the email address is still active.

• Like 1

My understanding is that has to do with the motor control circuit board. Should be fixable and maybe something you could do yourself with some google searching.

interested to see if you solve this, let me know how your research goes.

i've a pdx 2000mk1 that does this randomly. if im juggling and go too hard on the platter, it starts to go backwards then it'll go forward and back like a shitty baby scratch.

I'll get it on the bench within a couple of days for further inspection.

The displacement of an internal optical sensor seems pretty plausible.

But I found these old posts here on DV:

My old shitty 2000 would also go backwards sometimes if you used a felt slipmat and no plastic or turned the brake to full sharpness - I did neither and it never happened again.

PDX-2000

Modification Manual

February 18, 2003

Vestax Corporation

Description:

When the platter is pushed down and a fair amount of pressure is applied (during scratch play), the platter may generate a vibration. This problem occurs on units produced in the first few batches.

Applicable serial numbers:

230V: 07N010201 – 23N380500
120V: 07U010401 – 23U380700
100V: 07F010001 – 22F370300

I don't have vibration issues as far as I can tell, but I do have a 230V with S/N 16N210330...

*EDIT* I get a low level creaking sound when braking the platter with a thick slipmat, so I guess I actually do have vibration issues.

If this is connected to the random reversing, I just need to get the proper resistors.

Edited by virak