Beat Junkies geek out on mixers

I'm fairly certain was the one me and my friend picked up at a pawn shop to share. It had an "echo" button! It also used to pick up CB signals from truckers too so somewhere I have an old mix tape with De La Soul's Buddy and truck drivers talking over it like "heeeal yeah, 10-4 on that good buddy". Technically we had one before this but it had no crossfader so my friend took it back and got this one.

atus-am300e-stereo-mixer-echo-band_1_dfc

When I got my first new mixer a few years later I bought this and it had some pretty cool shit going on.

$_86.PNG

• Like 2

First mixer i had was probaly an alecto or a similar nameless brand, i remember a friend of me soldered some toggle switches to it and drilled the frontplate.

The word 'crossfader' itself sounded so magical to us as non-native english speakers....

Than the first record sleeves started to arrive with those out of reach Gemini's on their covers(Dj Cash money etc etc)

I was even surprised that Babu mentioned in the video that even for them it was hard to get the Melos DMC mixer...to us, we thought at that time that in the US nothing was impossible)))

Edited by cutdisco
  • Like 1

The first mixer I had was this: -

ntg9Sgl.jpg

It cost £180, but I never even really got to use it. I had planned to buy pieces of equipment as I could afford them to build up my setup. I went with the mixer first because I had a friend with 1200s, but his mixer was junk for scratching. At the time I liked to scratch with the punch buttons, and I knew he'd let me use my mixer with his decks from time to time.

I ended up getting made redundant shortly after buying the mixer, and after 3 or 4 weeks of being unable to find work and getting short of money, I sold the mixer to the friend with the 1200s.

My second mixer was a Gemini (I think - it might have been Numark), but I can't remember the model. It was another one with punch buttons.

After that I got an Ecler Hak 310, which I used for many years, and now I have a Z2.

• Like 2

So recognisable, also my friend had one SL and i had an SL, either he or me would bring the mixer because they always broke but at least we could make a set.

We would backspin our ears off and have the neigbours complain about 'how this was not music'.....in fact they were right haha

Than just after the iron curtain came down, i found a brand new gemini pmx-2000 in Poland in some weird shop selling all kinds of imported stuff....i even found a pair of airwalks there....reallly nice times, you'd buy all casettes in the streets for like nothing and have all the new tunes on your walkman

Oh yeah, the gemini lasted for like 3 weeks, i remember my brother repaired it for me and mumbled something about how shit it was build)))

Edited by cutdisco
  • Like 1

It looks like even these veterans started out on better mixers than I did! I got this one from a friend for 10€ which is about 9.99€ more than it's worth.

Check out the conveniently placed cue potentiometer. Also notice how you could only choose between line and phono signal for the cue. So you either had both turntables or nothing on your headphones - great feature that never caught on unfortunately!

They also only included only one input for each channel (Phono OR Line) to reduce weight, so this was the perfect mixer for the touring DJ!

ElWJnPz.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I always liked the look of the Intimidation Apex and Blue, never got my hands on one. Maybe I should go buy one for nostalgia.

The pan was kind of dope on this one because it would only pan the highs and mids (but not the bass). Cool effect. The phase was kind of cool too. Slaughter chamber was basically just a dicer and I only used it on rare occasion.

The punch in buttons just hampered my development on the cross-fader. I ended up buying a replacement cross fader for it that was looser (the original was pretty stiff).

All in all it was a dope mixer from a boutique company that punched way above its weight class. I don't remember how much it cost new. Maybe $300 or so but it was way better than anything you could get for $300. When I lost the mixer in the tragic New Years Day accident of 2000 the company was no longer in business. Paul from Cal Sound and I convinced the insurance company that the ONLY comparable mixer on the market as far as sound quality was the Rane TTM-54 (which was kind of true) so I got my mixer upgraded for free.

• Like 1