Fighting games: Do you play them and if so, what are your favourites?

Steve

I used to LOVE fighting games back in the days when there was no online multiplayer and I'd game with a group of friends in the same room.

My favourite fighting game of all time is probably Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES, but I was also a big fan of Soulcalibur and Tekken. Mortal Kombat was cool, but I definitely preferred the fight mechanics of other series.

I recently downloaded the free version of Dead or Alive 6, which only lets you play as 3 different characters, but it kinda made me want to get back into fighting games again. I was playing online against a friend who's better at the game than me, but she taught me some of the basics and I was doing OK. I managed to beat her in a couple of matches, although she almost certainly let me win: -

• Like 1

Tekken 3 FTW!.. :)

Used to love that back in the day..and Dead Or Alive 2 with the kids ( until they got too good at it)was always fun to have a bash on.

The most recent game I had a play on was Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and I got my ass kicked royally,it was way too fucking fast for me to deal with,much to the delight of my 2 teenage sons I might add.. :)

I can honestly say that the newest games haven't really impressed me that much although I can get why other people like them..I tried the latest Red Dead Redemption for example cause I absolutely loved the first one but I just can't get on with it,the game just looks and feels wrong in my opinion.

In reality I'm probably too old for this new stuff so I'm gonna just get myself a Mega Drive and a copy of Road Rash I reckon, hehe...now that's what you call a video game, marauding around on a motorcycle armed with a cattle prod as you drink a

six pack of beer while playing ..i mean,what more do you really need exactly apart from a copy of Manhunt for the PS 2 possibly?

EpNLam3.jpg

• Like 1

Not a huge Street Fighter or MK fan but love Tekken. Capcom v Marvel, Smash Bros all dope too. There is a super cool PS1 game Bushido Blade? Its dope as hell. Soul Caliber is pretty good too.

• Like 1

i used to play a lot of the old school beat em up games too. final fight, streets of rage, fighting force, double dragon. all of those are pretty much the same game. i got scott pilgrim vs the world on ps3. me and my wife stayed up every weekend for a month beating that game.

my kids got kung fu panda on xbox one. i get my ass kicked playing with them on that one every time. this topic is getting me amped. im really considering getting that capcom arcade stick now.

• Like 1

Soul Caliber is pretty good too.

I've got the Japanese import soundtrack cds for the first Soul Calibur along with XenoGears ..apparently the Soul Calibur is pretty collectable so im told.

ywhIHtR.jpg

• Like 1

yeh....being a retro game collector i love my old fighting games, but nothing too new really. there were some great ones on PS1, but thats as new as i get really lol...

Bloody Roar and Rival Schools on PS1 are underrated and were overshadowed by lots of the bigger titles at the time, but worth playing if your into that era.

Not sure if ive posted any of these here before....but i got the SNES SF2 cartridge reissue a few years back - 5500 made, 1000 in limited glow in the dark green colour, the rest in red....pretty cool. ive left mine sealed as ive got boxed copies of every Streetfighter 2 / turbo / super etc, so i dont really need to open it.

FB-IMG-1528460200835.jpg

also got some other cool bits fighting game wise....in particular SF2.

I got a dude to custom build me a raspberry pi 2 player arcade control, i designed the CP layout in the same style as the OG upright machine....doesnt work as well as it should, but it looks good on my bookshelf lol

received-10154265764045617-2.jpg

still got my original boxed snes with SF2 pack in...and the 6 button fighter stick too ;)

Image026-1.jpg

Image019-1.jpg

• Like 2

OG Street Fighter 2

Tekken 3 Tag Tournament

Killer Instinct

Mortal Kombat 3

but hands down my all time favorite & probably the most difficult

Samurai Showdown 3

Killer instinct!!! Great game!!! the snes port worked / translated very well indeed to the nintendo - got a boxed copy, but its pretty beaten up unfortunately....the snes is a sucker to collect for these days with the games being in cardboard boxes (same as n64 too) games are mad expensive to get, in good shape...

MK3 is also a great game.... i have the whole series on the megadrive, the MK series were wayyy better on sega - nintendo (being pussies) always censored shit on the home systems, which was lame as fuck and completely pointless

i just copped a nintendo gamecube from the thrift shop. it came with 2 controllers and super monkeyball. i know, monkeyball is not a fighter. but, there is a battle mode in the game where the monkeys have a huge fist and your have to punch the other player off the board. simple, but fun as fuck.

• Like 2

dirk, i'll let you in on the secret that i just found out. http://shopgoodwill.com its the goodwill's auction site. its in like the home electronics section. they got all types of systems. but you have to bid on them. so i got the gamecube with 2 games and 2 controllers for $50. but they only powered it on. it was still a gamble if it really worked or not. didnt have an av cord. i had to order one from amazon. but she works. i have to get a memory card and more games for it. next im going after a dreamcast.

• Like 1