I done a scratch tutorial

Motek

i like how you took some time to talk to the viewers instead of jumping right in. and you were humble in your approach which helps gain trust. it kept me curious to see where you are going to go next. do you have more than 1 camera? it would be nice to see an angle above the decks as well.

• Like 1

I say this to any new people trying scratching out when I run workshops. Always show faderless techniques first, then click techniques. I'm sure I was given this advice online at somepoint when starting, but its good that you've stuck it in a video for people. Keep it up dood!

• Like 1

Good stuff Mo. I like these more general concept tutorials over just straight up tutorials on how to do "X" scratch. I have a good number of little things that I've learned over the years that I never see anybody mention. D-Styles has started to hit on some of them recently and I'm almost like "stop giving away the secrets!" Haha. A lot of them seem really obvious but I also think they get overlooked because everyone is focused on TTM. Looking back on my development, it was slow, but I picked up a lot by teaching myself instead of following tutorials or learning specific techniques. Isolating yourself can have some real advantages.

I have a few criticisms of your video as well.

1. Ditch the fake British accent. You're not fooling anybody homey.

2. ALWAYS start your videos with "Hey Guys! ....." Then add some sort of catchy verbiage. You just said "what's up guys" and that's not really cutting it.

• Like 1

Fuggin awesome advice guys thanks.

Since I did it I have developed an idea around content moving forward, essentially 4 main tutorial eps (Record, Fader, Record & Fader, Patterns) and then making more of my usual videos on the channel practice sessions with voiceover + some freestyle kuts and maybe a bit of chat around the scene. Who knows may even get someone wanting to guest ;)

deffo 2 cams next time.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah great video, i've wished I learnt the importance of what your talking about from when I started. I find with a lot of scratches as well like the 'Tips' scratch, it's better to understand that as a baby scratch - not a separate scratch - as it illustrates what exploring even the first scratch you learn can lead to if you play with it.

Another thing I wish i'd learned to do with every scratch as I learned, rather than going back through each one was to do it in the opposite direction/in reverse. I think if your a complete beginner, learning a baby scratch with a forward release at the end, into an immediate reverse baby and drag back, would be a great thing to learn and gets you thinking about that one scratch from two different starting positions. Again then when learning the chirp or stab scratch as the next step, learning both from the forward movement, and from the back, when your a total beginner will be possible and you will then grow both forward and reverse variations of each scratch at the same time and not have a dominant 'forward leaning' style. I feel when it comes to starting to put combos together, different scratch techniques or patterns your doing, end in different ways and positions and if you haven't got the 'reverse' ways of executing each scratch, your limited by where your at in the sample

Edited by DJRidm